K Visa Desperate to be with him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

leah

I have called numerous organizations and immigration lawyers that have given me different answers every time.

I just want to be able to gather some credible information and be able to move forward.

My boyfriend is a U.S citizen and I'm a Canadian citizen.
We know that we want to be together.
I would be willing to move to New York to be with him.

He works off the books and doesn't have checkable income.
I have two children, 5 and 11 yrs old. I do not have sole custody of them.
The little one sees her father every Saturday from 9-5pm, through an access center for safety purposes that was established through the Ontario Court System.
The older one has not seen his father since the summer of 2004.
As well I would like to bring over my mother who is 73 years old.

What would be the best way to do this?? Fiancée status???

you need a good immigration lawyer.
check this site out:
www.aila.org
they have the list of the best immigration lawyers in your area.
it is hard for people here to help you, sounds complicated (especially with your kids), and you cant rely on their advises, all we can do here is to share our personal experiences. talk to the lawyer, good luck:)

The truth is that since there's kids involved you'll have to find a way to first obtain some sort of "OK" from the father to move to the U.S. It's always better to do it that way. Also be aware that your boyfriend must meet the income requirements and you should avoid any and all criminal convictions. Check out the "health" requirements and get your shot records in order as well as other paperwork required such as birth certificates and passport.
I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.

Best of luck to you! :)

leah said:
I have called numerous organizations and immigration lawyers that have given me different answers every time.

I just want to be able to gather some credible information and be able to move forward.

My boyfriend is a U.S citizen and I'm a Canadian citizen.
We know that we want to be together.
I would be willing to move to New York to be with him.

He works off the books and doesn't have checkable income.
I have two children, 5 and 11 yrs old. I do not have sole custody of them.
The little one sees her father every Saturday from 9-5pm, through an access center for safety purposes that was established through the Ontario Court System.
The older one has not seen his father since the summer of 2004.
As well I would like to bring over my mother who is 73 years old.

What would be the best way to do this?? Fiancée status???
All the advice given here is good. This is not a simple issue especially since children are involved. What kind of relationship do you have with the father of your children? In addition, what does "be with him" mean? Getting married or you just want to live together? Now you're also talking about moving your mother -- yet another difficult task -- and how do you plan to support yourselves, as was alluded to here earlier?

Desperate to be with him

I do not have a relationship on any level with the father of my daughter.
There is a good possibility that I may be granted sole custody early this year.

What is the worst that can happen if I default on access?

I feel that my daughter is in danger when she is with him because of the history of abuse and anger issues that he has.

There may be a possibility that I may get a transfer to work in the U.S this year as well.

Thanks for your response :)

When dealing with children, emotional issues are as important as legal issues. Consult with your attorney and make sure everything is out in the clear when it comes to the kids. Make sure they know what's going on at the appropriate level.
Again, best of luck to you!
(This is not legal advise, I'm not an attorney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back