Department of Justice "rap sheet"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacramento413

Hello, this seems complicated for such a small issue, but it has given me some concern.

I had ordered my DOJ record for personal review due to future job interest, particularly in the government sector and came across my "rap sheet' that contained seemingly multiple violations for a single encounter.
I was detained and arrested in Alameda County for PC 484a and 490.1(petty theft and petty theft under $50 without prior). I subsequently did jail time overnight for an offense that I didn't commit.
After that arrest I moved, and received a failure to appear after written promise, PC 853.7
but that was later dismissed.
For the other violations, I appeared before a presiding judge of the county and he reduced my PC violations to infractions, therefore regarding them as a civil matter(from what I understand as infractions that don't have anything to do with detriment to life and liberty), rather than criminal. I thought it was all behind me.
Well, after reviewing DOJ record I found what appeared to be 4 seperate incarcerations on my rap sheet and did some work on it. I went to the issuing courthouse and obtained a verification of record by the court clerk citing that the above incident is acknowledged but records have since been destroyed pursuant to Section 68152 of the government code of California (something to the effect of having a court case either sealed and destroyed).
I was informed that the Department of Justice will only remove innacuracies on my criminal rap sheet if they are proven to be innacurate or misleading. The problem here is:

This case is closed, the records destroyed, and a offense was issued, although the judge treated it like a civil matter, with all property returned and compensation reimbursed, it seems like a criminal conviction is being stated on my DOJ file.
There is no DISPO-sition stated as a result of this, rather a warrant # ending the last statement on my file, but 2 counts are mentioned.

From what I understand, a infraction such as this is a civil matter, not a criminal one, so why was it reported to the DOJ? I also understand arrests on the doj file, but can't that be removed as well, as long as the police department of the citing city grants its' removal(for lack of a better word) for it being later regarded as a civil procedure rather than a criminal one?

I talked to several DOJ officers, but they are responding to my phone calls as if the incarceration is solely a criminal act, and conviction rather than advising me that there is a possible innacuracy that could lead this to a civil matter upon case review. I had to do this research myself, do you have any other suggestions to proceed further?:confused:

I understand that this is a very simple matter and may not even apply in state or federal job applications, but nontheless, the responses I have gotten from agencies that are designed to deal and identify with matters like these on a daily basis are very harsh with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back