Permanent Residency denied permanent residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

david1

I recently applied for permanent residence status and just received a letter of denial based on a criminal conviction for writing 3 bad checks in 1993. I was convicted of 3 separate misdemeanors (the checks were written about 3 months apart) and served 5 years probation- no jail time.
Since that time I have had no other legal problems. I have held a good job, pay taxes, gotten married (in 1998) and have 3 biological children (ages 10, 7, 3) and a stepchild (16). My 7 year old son is followed closely by a cardiologist for rheumatic heart disease and may require surgery in the future, it is yet to be determined. I also assist in the care of my elderly mother on a part time basis. I own a home and work full time.
I have over the past 2 years hired 2 lawyers to assist with the process of obtaining permanent residency, both which assured me there would be no problem, "these things just take time". Now I don't know where to turn for help. I am planning to file a motion to reopen my application with more supporting information on my marriage and good moral character.
Do you have any other advice? I certainly don't want to leave or uproot my family because of 3 bad checks written 15 years ago. I also think it would be difficult to ensure safe and seamless continuation of health care for my son and mother if we were to leave the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back