Denied lawyer by judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtlg

I was arrested for trespass (140.05) about a month ago and when at the arraignment proceedings, I asked to be assigned a attorney, as I am unemployed and destitute. I was denied due to the maximum sentence being too small. Quite likely I will be given merely a fine but have no intent on payment. I would rather do time in jail. I believe I was wrongly ticketed and denied due process. I am confused greatly by this, for on the back of my appearence ticket the usual "you have the following rights ... (c) to have counsel assigned by the court if you are unable to obtain the same." is printed. I explained to the judge my case and he insisted that I must go to trial in order to state anything. I was a customer of the business where I was arrested and have witnesses as to this. The neighboring buildings owner called the police and within a moments I was in the back of a cop car. Strangely no handcuffs no you are under arrest but there was a search.There are no signs warning of premises laws of no trespassing and the spot is a popular hang out for many different types of people. I was singled out for whatever reason most likely some sort of bias. (I have dreadlocks?) Really am uncertain as to what I can or should do. Contacting local lawyers looking for pro bono representation. Thanks anyone & everyone for listening.

Wires were crossed!

No; it does not sound right at all for a judge to deny a criminal defendant counsel regardless of the punishment and something was lost in the translation when you made a "request" to be assigned an attorney since criminal court rooms are filled to the brim with public defenders whose function is to assist indigent defendants, or any other defendant for that matter.

You can resolve this by going to the court department in which you were arraigned and explaining your situation to one of the public defenders and requesting that you be assigned one right away. It is as simple as that. In any case, if you are planning on taking your case to trial, you will be asked at every turn to seek counsel and not to proceed in pro per.

Hope it goes well for you.

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back