Demanding more earnest money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesweethome

I have a question. We are set to close on a new home next week. We had asked for an extension from last week and was given it. We were notified by our lawyer the day of the initial closing that we received the extension . I had already taken the time off of work and was out a days wage. Then the next day we received a fax from the sellers attorney stating we had to give them another $5,000.00 earnest money by the end of the day or we would be in breach of contract. Our lawyer said we had to do it, even though we didn't agree to it. My husband gave them a post dated check and then they faxed him at work (tho we don't know how they got that number!) that since the check was post dated, we had to have a cashiers check for the money by 2:00 pm today. Is this legal? We are ready to just walk away because something sounds very strange with this deal and I am afraid they will find us in breach for any reason and keep our earnest money. Our lawyer does not return our phone calls nor answer our questions. Do we have any legal recourse against him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back