delaying coverage & won't return personals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertoZ

I had a fire in February. The cause was unknown. The fire department did an investigation. The insurance company proceeded with my claim immediately. They had someone come and clean my house, clean and pack my things in boxes and had a moving company come and take the stuff to be stored until the repairs could be done. Someone came and took some of my clothes and curtains to be dry cleaned. They also had an electronics company come and take all the electronics to be cleaned. They even sent a check for the construction on the damaged area to begin. After about three weeks, the fire departments report came back and the investigator stated that she thought the fire had been set intentionally. She told me that she wasn't saying that I set the fire, but that she felt that someone did. Not too long after that the insurance company halted the order on the carpet that they were going to replace and now they aren't giving some of my personal things back. I got all the clothes, curtains and linens back, but not the electronics of the things the movers took. My claim has changed adjustors three times. The last time I talked to them they were really concerned about me filling out the "personal loss" forms and sending them to the insurance company ASAP. I did just that, and they should have received them over a week ago. No one has contacted me to let me know what's going on. Does the insurance company have the right to keep my personal belonglings? Can the refuse to cover my claim just based on what the fire department report says? I was not home when the fire started and don't know what happened, but does that make me an arsonist? How would I go about getting my things back if the insurance company decides not to accept my claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back