Delating my book from Goodreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

daymler

Jurisdiction
European Union
Hello,
so I am a self-published author in Bulgaria. I write, edit, design, print & distribute my books on my own. I decided to register in Goodreads as an author and add my books about a year ago. Since then one of my books became not popular among my audience and I decided to rework the idea and publish it with new design, cover, etc.
I want to delate my previous book from Goodreads and add the new one, because my fans will be confused with the similar ideas. Also I don't plan to print any more units from the old one and I don't want it to be associated with my name anymore.
So I contacted Goodreads and explained that, but they refuse to delate the book from the platform. I feel disrespected and helpless, because since I invested personal time & money to make this books a reality I want to be able to do everything I want with them. And since I own all the copyrights and I want my book out of their platform can I, and if so how, seek my rights?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Daniel

In addition to cbg's post, I would like to point out that this forum handles US law matters only.

Perhaps approach may help in terms of your options.

How do I delete my book from the Goodreads database?

Deleting published books from our system is against policy. Goodreads is striving to be a complete database of all published works, including works that are out-of-print. We like our members to be able to add their exact edition to their virtual shelves...

They seem to enforce this policy based upon the Terms of Use for when you create an account.

By posting any User Content on the Service, you expressly grant to Goodreads a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, perform, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in any media.

I understand your concerns and I'm guessing that there may be records of your book that may appear elsewhere as well. Not defending anyone but many sites do keep track of out of publication, prior released editions. I'm also sure you're not to first to rethink an earlier publication. Perhaps there is a better way to move forward to de-emphasize your earlier book and make it clear to those seeing the new book as to your intentions and the relationship limits to your earlier effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back