Definition of a "week" - vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanbags

Hi everyone,

So I started this new job 9 months ago (full-time - Mon - Fri) and I haven't taken a vacation day yet. I looked at my pay stub the other day as I was thinking about taking a vacation day and it reports that I have now accrued 7.5 days of vacation. I did the Math and that is a lot less than I thought I was getting.

So I looked at the offer of employment letter I got - signed by the boss. It says that I am entitled to (3) weeks vacation per year. In my mind, that means 21 days. I talked to my folks about it, they said that that actually means 15 days. I was a bit angry about this because when I agreed with the contract, I can remember thinking that 21 days was pretty good and I agreed to a slightly lower wage than I could have got. Now, in my offer letter, it does state "week" - not "work week" - just week. So I figure that is 21 days. No where in the letter of offer does it go into definitions. It also does not bind me to any other agreements - though it does say that I am expected to abide by the human resources manual. I looked at that, found no mention on the definition of a week.

Now, next week I want to tell the HR crew that I am getting too few vacation days accrued (seems like that are doing it at a 10 day period) and I want to let them know that it should be 21 days.

Is this a fair argument - or is there some sort of assumption I don't know about that says a week is actually 5 days. Do I have a legal argument in saying that I expected 21 days?

Any help would be great - thank you!

No, you do not have a legal argument of any kind.

First of all, the law does not define what a week is for purposes of vacation.

Secondly, a week for purposes of vacation is defined as 5 days in just about every company in the US.

I have NEVER, in 26 years of administrating employee benefits and participating in national surveys, heard of a single company or vacation policy ever, anywhere, that defined a week for vacation purposes as seven days. A vacation week is the same as a work week EVERYWHERE.

You're not going to get anywhere at all with your argument that you "assumed" - it was up to you to confirm.

You can expect to lose this argument. And if you push it too far, you just might lose your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back