Defaulted student loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndbtacoma

What are my rights in dealing with a collection agency assigned by the us dept. of ed? They are garnishing my wages and I have tried to get them to rehab my loan but they are being unreasonable in that they want me to pay 300.00 a month for nine or so months on top of the 15% garnishment I am already paying. I am an average worker making around the poverty level income. These people have seen my income statements but do not care. I find our govt. to be very cold and corrupt. Any answers for me other than leaving the country?:(:(:(

Why leave the country? You need to sit down with a credit counselor and have him/her work with the collection agency. Find a legal, non profit organization that will help you. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

What are my rights in dealing with a collection agency assigned by the us dept. of ed? They are garnishing my wages and I have tried to get them to rehab my loan but they are being unreasonable in that they want me to pay 300.00 a month for nine or so months on top of the 15% garnishment I am already paying. I am an average worker making around the poverty level income. These people have seen my income statements but do not care. I find our govt. to be very cold and corrupt. Any answers or means would be appreciated

Have you tried applying for an income contingent repayment plan? These are specifically for low income people who cannot afford a regular payment plan. If your income is very low, you can even end up paying $0 until such a time as your situation improves and they recalculated.

If you have let it go to garnishment, then it seems you have probably ignored many alternatives that were offered to you, as they only garnish wages as a last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back