Default Divorce, what does it mean and what are the risks for not filing for it??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mari123

I have served my husband with divorce papers and he let the 30 days he had to respond pass, then spoke with a lawyer friend of his and told me to please not file for Default and that he would sign the papers. It has been a few days and I have heard nothing.

What does Default mean? Why doesn't he want me to file for it? Is he trying to trick me? If so, what can I do? What could he do?

We have a young child and I am trying to keep things cool, so that he suffers as little as possible. We also have a condo under both our names. He has been VERY unhappy with me filing for divorce, harrasing me and calling me names, but I am still trying to be in good terms with him for the good of our son, so I don't want to actually file for Default and upset him now that he says he will cooperate. But I am afraid that I will actually end up paying for trying to be nice.

I asked for 50/50 custudy of the child because I read that it is the best thing for him, that he needs to see both parents as much as possible, and all I want is half of the money gained by selling the condo.

But, again, I am afraid he is trying to trick me and I would prefer not to get a lawyer because of their impossible rates: 40% of my gaining is just too much to deal with and would leave me with very little.

Please help.

Last edited:
A default in your lawsuit simply means that the person you sued filed no answer or any other responsive pleadings. You still have to prove your case but it will be easier since your husband is not contesting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back