Defamation of Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammyfitz

I need some help in regards to this matter. On May 9th, my supervisor, Shannon, said to me "We can do this two different ways. One, we can take it out of your pay with pink slips until it is all paid off, or two, we can bring in a detective." I was confused about this statement and asked her what she was talking about. She told me that they (her and my boss, Eric) know that I stole money and that they were going to press charges. I told them that I had no idea what they were talking about and said that I never stole any money. She said that I had 24 hours to confess and that they would have evidence of this in 48 hours. I still persisted that I had no idea what they were talking about and told them that if they had any prove of anything, then they better show me this. I then walked out of the store. The next day, Shannon came up to me and told me that she was sorry for sounding so mean and that she did it because Eric told her to. She also told me that Eric was going to call the Department of Human Services ( I have an open case with them) and tell them that I am stealing money from them and that I shouldn't get my children back from the State. I was infuriated and I called Eric at home and he confirmed that statement saying that he was upset that there was money missing. I said that there was no reason why he would say that if he didn't mean it. I then hung up the phone. Since then they have given me a hard time in regards to my children. I followed up with Eric on the missing money situation and come to find out there was no money missing, that some employees had forgot to void items. I told him that I didn't appreciate me being accused of something that I didn't do. I have then sinced been fired from the job. As a matter of fact, I got a phone call today saying that I have been fired. Does anyone think I have a case here in defamation of character? I mean, Eric told Shannon that if I didn't confess then he would call the State on me. I don't think that is right for him to do that. Someone please give me some advice in this situation.:confused::confused:

You may want to call them back and record the conversation. You could have a case against them for defamation and extortion as well -- perhaps you may want to report this to your department of labor and potentially the police (who may not want to bother with this.) The biggest problem comes down to proof issues, which is why you should always try to obtain some type of documentation or proof as to what is going on, e.g. writing a memo, recording a call (do not do this as habit, only of last necessity), etc.

Perhaps you may want to write them a certified letter regarding the matter and warning them that any mention of what you were threatened with will force you to take action against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back