Defamation of Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooty

My question relates to an incident that is cuurently being played out in the office where I work. ( A government agency) A co-worker of mine has filed a sexual harassment claim in our local EEO office citing several instances of sexual harassment, none of which are true and not realated to sexual harassment in the truest sense of the term, I believe her case holds no merit.

She has had repeated claims in the EEO office and has gotten away with it.

I need to know what recourse I have, namely to file a defamation of character suit and what exactly needs to be shown to prove defamation of character and be successful in the outcome of the suit.

That's pretty significant -- a false claim of sexual harrassment would constitute defamation. It typically requires the following:

1) A false or defamantory statement

2) A communication to another person

3) Fault on the part of the defendant, at least to the degree of negligence (this was intentional)

4) Some type of harm to the plaintiff

There is no question that you have been damaged. The question is who should pay and who can pay -- perhaps both the defendant and the employer too for allowing her to continue to defame you despite knowledge of the falsehood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back