Defamation of Character Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberGlyph

I was pulled into a meeting today, and a supervisor threatened me with a defamation of character suit, because I did kinda of spread some half truths around the office, stuff like this person can not be trusted because he can stab you in the back and I don't believe he deserves his position with the company and similar contractual statements and several people have come forward saying this.

Do I have any concern from this case? Or start looking for legal help immediatly!

anybody can give me some advice would be great.

Thanks
Cyberglyph

You should be okay if you smarten up and keep your mouth shut. In order to pursue you for a slander suit, the supervisor would have to show damages which presumably he/she has not yet sustained.

That would be a personal civil action against you though. Your employer is perfectly free to take disciplinary action, including terminating your employment, if they don't care for your behavior and the statements you've made. In fact, doing what you did would get you fired in a lot of places.

The wise thing for you to do would be to offer the supervisor a sincere apology and then keep your opinions to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back