Defamation of character - marked worse than a criminal. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarandfeathered

If there's anyone here who can be objective enough to be non-judgmental, then that's whom i need to hear from, because enough abuse was piled on me already.

:confused:
Right now i'm desperate for constructive advice by anyone familiar with Ebay society.

Here's the situation - I had posted on what I thought was primarily an Ebay buyers forum - but it turns out that because they "buy in order to resell" - they seemed to be slanted more in favor of sellers' opinions.

That post launched a downhill slide, with respondents pouring on abuse, which caused me to respond defensively (what they misconstrued to be closed-mindedness.

Basically, whatever i said thereafter was scoffed at & pitilessly interpreted in the worst ways, by what i consider dreg-personalities. Of course there were a few decent ones among them, but don't bad apples always worsen a bunch?

I'm desperate to ask further questions via PM only, about my predicament, to anyone savvy who can offer helpful info, rather than further abuse.

I now know how it feels to be a victim of major public slander - because I'm thinking that even prison may be preferable to this notoriety which I never wanted nor needed. My personal life is WAY difficult as it is.

Last edited:
OP, the best thing you can do will be the thing you don't want to do. But, here goes.

Your best bet is to ignore those buffoons. The more you resist, the more they attack. If I were you, I'd ignore them and move on to more important issues.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good luck to you.

Why not simply ignore them? If you do not partiipate in the discussion then they can't respond to you. No need to fuel the fire.

:eek: I explained more details to someone via PM, and hope you don't mind if i paste the PM to some of you (update: PM was disabled except to a few moderators).

I prefer not further publicizing the details even here - hope you can understand that. :eek:

I'm desperate for feedbacks via PM only re: this matter, since public notoriety is terrifying to me.

I've been weeping & weeping, because all i did were some ignorant glitches during messaging & posting (due to heavy stress in personal life), which i now can't live down.
:dunno:
For crying out loud, it's not like i'm some major criminal. I was just stupid in this case!

Last edited:
I don't know how you expect to be helped on a public forum if you won't post details.

You're absolutely free to consult with local counsel though.

You need to stop stressing. Things ate gonna be just fine. But, you need to stop stressing. You'll have a heart attack. That would hurt, wouldn't it? It might even kill you!

Ignore them and all will be well.

:eek: I explained more details to someone via PM, and hope you don't mind if i paste the PM to some of you (update: PM was disabled except to a few moderators).

I prefer not further publicizing the details even here - hope you can understand that. :eek:

I'm desperate for feedbacks via PM only re: this matter, since public notoriety is terrifying to me.

I've been weeping & weeping, because all i did were some ignorant glitches during messaging & posting (due to heavy stress in personal life), which i now can't live down.
:dunno:
For crying out loud, it's not like i'm some major criminal. I was just stupid in this case!

Hi, does anyone know how i can get this thread deleted?

The other day I had reported it & asked for it to be deleted for reasons of net privacy but it's still here.

Also, is there anyone here who can advise me how to get out of the mess i'm in due to having stupidly posted on a public forum?

It seems that everything is anonymous... nobody has a means to trace anything back to you unless you tell them who you are.
Deleting this thread should not make any difference.

As for Ebay- if you think there is a problem on that end you can close your account and open a new one under a new name.

It seems that everything is anonymous... nobody has a means to trace anything back to you unless you tell them who you are.
Deleting this thread should not make any difference.

As for Ebay- if you think there is a problem on that end you can close your account and open a new one under a new name.

Bless you, Moose - I still wasn't entirely sure what OP was asking or what s/he actually wanted! :)

..which is it?

You want the thread deleted, or you want help?

I want this thread deleted, because I had required help via PM. Instead this thread only created more frustration for me, at a time I'm under stress from a zillion different directions, not least of which is defamation.

I feel so helpless that I can't delete my own thread for privacy reasons.

I think you need to look at the forum on the whole - the volunteers here are not 1-on-1 advisers. That's why it's a forum; partly so that the responders can review and add to, correct or confirm the information given and also so that others can read the thread and perhaps gain valuable information themselves.

If you don't want your information out there to be seen, don't post to a forum. I'm sorry, but that's really the basic general rule.

If you want specific legal advice, you're welcome to hire an attorney or hit the "Free case review" button at the top of your screen.

Other than that, what you post here will generally be here permanently.

How in the world did this thread cause stress?

It is an anonymous thread.... nobody knows your name. There are no privacy concerns for you here.

No legal question was ever really asked... I suppose one of the moderators might come along and delete it sometime since there is no valuable discussion here, but I don't think they do that very often.

DOn't let this thread nag you... there is nothing at all in it to be worried about!

So you're saying the moderators are absentee, and therefore requests to delete posts are useless?

And kindly don't advise me anymore not to worry - if only programmers would give due consideration to the ramifications they create for people by not setting up safeguards, this entire grief would never have happened to me in the 1st place.

So you're saying the moderators are absentee, and therefore requests to delete posts are useless?

And kindly don't advise me anymore not to worry - if only programmers would give due consideration to the ramifications they create for people by not setting up safeguards, this entire grief would never have happened to me in the 1st place.

Nope.

We're not saying that.

You need to read the TOS of EVERY forum you register your information with - that's a very simple safeguard.

It's hardly the moderators or the programmers fault if you post something you later regret.

By the way - you realize that you're "bumping" this thread every time you respond, right? Thereby making it more visible?

The decision to "delete" an entire thread falls on site admin not us moderators. If you want your thread deleted then its the site admins call not ours.

You don't need a safeguard.
You, and you alone, make the decision to post the information. Nobody should have to warn you every time before you make a statement. If you don't want your comments in a public forum, don't post them there.

Also, there is a safeguard here... you are allowed to edit your post after submitting it, just in case you make an error and want to fix it. After a certain period of time that option to edit disappears... I think it might be 24 hours or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back