defamation - adultery

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefly

I live in a small town and am very active in the community, i.e. PTAs, Chambers, Community projects and own a business in the community. A neighbor began a vendetta against me claiming an affair with her husband. I am married and this is false. She has since sep. from him, writing in her complaint that he had a girlfriend. She did not name me, I am sure, since she has no proof and I am fairly certain she raelizes this is untrue. Just needed a scapegoat ( I am not the first accused of this over many years).
She has been running around town attaching my name to this story verbally and with the accusation that her divorce is based on this, though she is not divorcing under adultery, but mental cruelty.
This has destoyed my marriage and caused damage to my reputation within the community. Do I have a defamation case and can I file this on my own?

You have a case for slander and potentially libel. You can file pro se on behalf of yourself. In order to do so, do a search here for the laws regarding a defamation case. They will give you the elements to plead such as:

(1) There was a false statement (and state the false statements and to whom)
(2) It was spoken (slander) or written (libel)
(3) It was heard/read by a third person
(4) There were damages and state basically what they were.

You should be able to find several defamation complaints on the Internet and you'll be able to see how they are written. Typically they involve public figures and you can ignore that part that deals directly with the level of proof (actual malice) one needs with regard to public figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back