Deceptive Hiring - Do I have a course?

Houston Fuel

Jurisdiction
Texas
I have a Ph.D. in geosciences plus many years of working experience beyond that. I was offered a research job by an oil company for a position required advanced degrees in Field A. The job description listed 4 job responsibilities, including 1. support existing research; 2. technical service; 3. initiate research; and 4)develop in-house class. During the interview, I was told that they had secured 3 years funding for this position.

However, the first day I came on board in 2014, I was told I was assigned to another newly formed team. Then, the new team lead, who interviewed me, but not my original hiring manager, assigned me to a position that is very different from the job description in 3 ways:

1. Although my extensive experience in field A can be utilized to some extent, this position requires formal training in field B. My team lead assigned me a lot of trainings in field B, either by classroom training or by self-study or practice in 2014.

2. A more significant difference between the job description and the new position is that the main function of the new team is to develop a new program in an uncharted territory, with a high risk of failure. This was not revealed in the job description at all.

3. More surprising was that the promised 3-year funding did not exist. That meant I have to charge on overhead and to develop new business ASAP.

I was disappointed with the new position, because it is much much more difficult than the job advertisement portrayed. Nonetheless, I tried to be adaptive to meet the business needs of my employer. My team lead assured me in several circumstances that if our new business did not work, the company would find another position for me.

As oil price drops, what I feared the most became true - our team dissolved and I'm let go. I think I am a victim of deceptive hiring practice. I was promised with a nice job with 3-year job security, but was given a shady one.

Here is another piece of relevant information. After I was offered the job for a couple of months, another person applied the same job as I did received an offer. Although he was assigned to the same new team, his job assignments are more in line with the job description. And as a result, he keeps his job.

My question is: do I have a course here to take any action? If yes, what actions should I take?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Houston

Barring a contract that specifies exactly what duties and assignments you can and cannot be given, no. It is the employer's opt to decide how to utilize their employees, and funding/grants can often be pulled/delayed/re-written at a moment's notice.

Unless you have a binding employment contract guaranteeing a certain position, job duties etc., it is the employer's decision. Sorry. Employers make changes all the time.

Back