Deceased Tenant

Scrappy

Jurisdiction
Florida
A tenant and only resident on my property passed away very recently. His friend (not related) is the administrator of his will. He is using his key as access to stay at my house for the last few days. Is it OK for me to change locks to prevent him setting up some sort of squatter rights?

As a friend, the administrator would visit and care for the man's dogs while he was in the hospital. Does this plus getting mail there as a friend, and administrator give him rights to residency?

I get mail at my house as well. Could I just go there and stay. However,the rent is paid for the deceased for the month. I just want to prevent a squatter taking up residence.

Last edited:
A tenant and only resident on my property passed away very recently. His friend (not related) is the administrator of his will. He is using his key as access to stay at my house for the last few days. Is it OK for me to change locks to prevent him setting up some sort of squatter rights?

As a friend, he administrator would visit and care for the man's dogs while he was in the hospital. Does this plus getting mail there as a friend, and administrator give him rights to residency?
Is the rent current? He may be staying there to organize/pack/clean the home. Have you discussed this with him?

He has thrown out some trash, and that is OK. The problem is that I see him there early in the morning in his short shorts. He does not claim to be living there. I just see it may be almost imposible to get rid of him if allow this to continue. He is leaving dogs there as an anchor. No dogs are allowed in lease. These were once his dogs, but the deceased tenant had them there at the house. First few days I went by and no guy or dogs.

Sorry, RENT IS CURRENT. Two months to clear things out, but does he need a key when I am minutes away, and very responsive?

He has thrown out some trash, and that is OK. The problem is that I see him there early in the morning in his short shorts. He does not claim to be living there. I just see it may be almost imposible to get rid of him if allow this to continue. He is leaving dogs there as an anchor. No dogs are allowed in lease. These were once his dogs, but the deceased tenant had them there at the house. First few days I went by and no guy or dogs.
Is the rent current? Have you asked when the property will be gone so that you can list the home/apartment? How much time is left on the lease?

Sorry, RENT IS CURRENT. Two months to clear things out, but does he need a key when I am minutes away, and very responsive?

I am retired, and can get there in minutes when needed to provide access.

Resident had just paid rent through friend when in hospital, and last month was paid at inception. I can return last month easily, and say one month of recent paid rent. I had no idea he would not be alive when Aug. started.

Managed to reconcile Overpayment of Last Month's Rent, and will send or hand deliver notice of when the administrator needs to have the deceased's property out of the unit. That was a big deal in getting this finished.

Back