deceased husband's medical bills

fatsyluba

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
im trying to find out if i am responsible for my deceased husbands medical bills. can they come after our house or my credit? we have no savings, only disability/medicare check monthly for the both of us, now i will be losing 900 per month income. thank you.

also, do i have to go to probate?a check came for him which i dont know how to cash.

im trying to find out if i am responsible for my deceased husbands medical bills. can they come after our house or my credit? we have no savings, only disability/medicare check monthly for the both of us, now i will be losing 900 per month income. thank you.

also, do i have to go to probate?a check came for him which i dont know how to cash.

If your, rather HIS estate is nominal, probate isn't required in NJ.

In most cases emanating from NJ, you only need to probate the decedent's will if the decedent owned probate assets, for instance; a bank account in his name alone without a beneficiary designation. If you and he held joint bank accounts, the remainder is yours via right of survivorship.

The same applies if you and the deceased owned property jointly, with right of survivorship.

If there are no probate assets, then you do not have to probate the will.

If he died intestate, of course, there won't be probate based upon a will.
This site explains the probate process in NJ: New Jersey Probate
Regarding your inquiry about medical bills of your deceased spouse, this LICENSED NJ lawyer delivers the news and the law about that unfortunate circumstance in "The Garden State" of NJ:
The Unintended Consequences of Marriage from a Healthcare Perspective : New Jersey Estate Planning & Elder Law Blog

Back