Deceased husband/father outstanding hospital bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

slanes

(Michigan) In May of 2004 my father had a severe stroke and was admitted to the hospital for a few weeks. Somehow his medicare/medicaid didn't kick in for the first three days of his nine day stay in the ICU. We received a bill for about $14,000 for these three days. It was just him and my mother and the bill was only his name. They didn't have the money as they were struggling to just pay bills with the help of me and my sister. We were told that insurance would pay $900 of this and if the hospital accepted this they would have to eat the rest of the bill. We received bills from the hospital every oince in a while and would discard them as my parents did not have a source of income and my father was now disabled with brain cancer. My father passed away in July 2006 with no money in the bank and a house that has his name and my mothers name on the title and mortgage. March 2007, 7 months after my father had passed my mother received a call from a bill collector requesting payment of the $14,000 or they would put a lien on the house. They also mentioned some joint credit cards that him and my mom had closed a few years ago. We right away filed a quit claim deed and put the house in my mothers name only. What else should we do? Can they garnish wages from my mom for a bill my father had? Can they put a lien on the house if it's only in my mothers name? Can they come after me or my sister? We haven't been served any or anything like that, just a bill collector calling all day and scaring my mother. Any advice would be seriously appredciated as mother and sister live month to month and cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Thank you

In some states, a spouse can be held liable for the other spouse's medical bills if they were necessary (e.g., brain cancer operation vs. breast enlargement).

If your state is that way, then ma's assets could be latched onto and sold to satisfy pa's bills.

...We were told that insurance would pay $900 of this and if the hospital accepted this they would have to eat the rest of the bill....

Would you happen to have that in writing?

Is there a legal aide office in your town that your mother can apply for help? Has she contacted medicare/medicade about the bill? You mention insurance did your father have other insurance and did she contact them about the bill? I would have her call both and send copies of the bills and whatever else they may need and see what they can do. I still would call legal aide in the meantime and get on their list if there is one. Bill collectors have laws they must follow and you can make a complaint if they are "calling all day". You can tell the bill collector not to contact you by phone and only through the mail. If they continue file another complaint http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm Go to this link and read how to file a complaint and your rights under the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back