Debt that is taken out of my check

Status
Not open for further replies.

bropther

I had the debt ( medical ) paid down to 350.00 now I get my pay check and it has gone up to 555.00. Can they do this? No new court order or anything!

79.00 every 2 weeks and He dont understand it eigther! I thought this would be paid off by Feb/ March at latest!

If you believe that too much money is taken then you need to go back to the court. You can either get them to adjust the amount owed, or you can get an order for them to pay back the amount they took that was beyond what was owed. You probably won't get far by working directly with the agency collecting the debt, but your first stop should be with them to obtain an explanation and try to correct the problem.

Actually, I'll bet if you read the original order, you'll find that it includes interest accrued until paid in full and possibly attorney's fees. What payroll does (or should do) is, when you get close to the original amount of the order, they call the court and get a new amount to account for interest. A new order does not have to be issued for the additional interest.

Does your paystub show the goal amount yet to be deducted? If not, how do you know about the new goal amount? Have you asked payroll?

Yes my pay stub has amount owed and amount paid. Court paper states 1400.00 and I was 325.00 away from it. So can they keep adding to it ?

Revised (or new) court orders are generally not issued or required for the additional interest that has been accruing on the unpaid portion.

Let us know about what payroll says when you ask them about the new unpaid balance.

Well I have paid off all the debt now they say it is intrest and they will do the same in may but it should be gone by then if my math is correct! Payroll said it should be collector said no to bet on it.

You should contact the company doing the collection and obtain itemized detail of the debt and payments made. They will do what they can to keep this account alive as long as possible in order to get as much as they can. You need to keep track and put an end to it at the appropriate time. Don't take their word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back