Debt collector just leined my account, Im a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaChayalBoded

I'm a full time student and have spoken to this particular collector letting them know that once I begin working I will begin paying of the debt. I don't keep much in my bank account, usually just cash given to me here and there, I pretty much make sure its always under $1000. Well the judgement went through on the 30th and on the 31st my sister gave me a $2000 check so that I could pay my tuition for next semester, immediatly my account had been frozen. I called the collector and the woman was pretty rude to me, I explained that I am a full time student, this money was not my own and was to be used for my tuition. Her words "I don't care, thats too bad you need to either hand over the account willingly or we will take it and you will have to pay an additional $250 for the sheriff fees and 5%"
I have tried asking to speak with someone else but that particular person is in charge of the account. I specifically asked a few weeks ago if this might happen and was told no because I am a student they would hold off, the person who said that no longer works there, accounts get bounced around from person to person all the time they said.
What are my options to get my money back? like I said Im a full time student, this money was to be used for tuition, if I dont get it back it would force me to not go to school next semester and instead work full time.
I am located in NY and the debt collector is Cohen and Slamowitz.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Eddie
PS I was told I had 7 days to come up with the balance which is less $1000 but I can't even pay that, if I do not, they will seize everything and charge me more than what they have already taken from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back