Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Debit Card Theft

eltongirl

Jurisdiction
California
My roommate used 2 of my debit cards over time without my permission. He did admit it to me - but I am sure he never will again, as he is trying to get me to say I told him I "would share my money" with him. Some of the money he deposited into an account he was using - but is technically owned by his parents. I have contacted my bank ( one is denying my fraud case) and I have filed a police report. What can I do next? Press charges? Thanks in advance

My roommate used 2 of my debit cards over time without my permission. He did admit it to me - but I am sure he never will again, as he is trying to get me to say I told him I "would share my money" with him. Some of the money he deposited into an account he was using - but is technically owned by his parents. I have contacted my bank ( one is denying my fraud case) and I have filed a police report. What can I do next? Press charges? Thanks in advance

Anytime anyone steals anything from me, I always call the police.

My mother would never steal from me, but if she did, I'd call the cops on her the moment I discovered the theft.

You complain, the cops investigate, and the evidence will take the cops to the truth.

If the roommate stole from you, why agonize over the theft?

I'd have reported the moment I discovered it.

I suspect that is why the bank denied the fraud allegation.

You can't wait two weeks, two months, or two years to report any crime.

You report the crime the moment it becomes known to you.

I'm curious, how long ago did this alleged theft occur?

Why are you still rooming with a known thief?

Were you in a sexual relationship with the thief?

You may be stuck with the loss. I suggest if you are determined to recover anything you work out a plan with him to repay or try small claims. You might also contact his parents.

Your fraud case is likely denied because a private pin was needed for the transaction. Police may come to the same conclusion and treat it as a civil dispute between the two of you.

You don't get to file charges. That's up to the prosecuting attorney if it gets that far.

I hope you've changed your PIN and ordered new cards since you reported this. I also hope that he's not your roommate anymore.

Back