death of sister

Robin Fudge

Jurisdiction
Texas
1st are you and I the only one that is seeing this? My sister passed away the end of September, 2018.
She had no will, she was not married and she had no children. She owes more on her house than it is worth. The is nothing to probate but we are not sure what to do and just looking for advise and/direction.

1st are you and I the only one that is seeing this? My sister passed away the end of September, 2018.
She had no will, she was not married and she had no children. She owes more on her house than it is worth. The is nothing to probate but we are not sure what to do and just looking for advise and/direction.

Please accept my sincerest condolences upon the death of your sibling.

You don't have to do anything other than mourn her passing.

You aren't legally obligated to pay her debts, file probate, or even pay for her funeral.

If what you say is true about her being single without any children, you can remove any keepsakes and try to move on.

The lender will likely foreclose the home and write off the debt.

If you wish to give her a funeral, that is entirely on you and others who wish to do so.

If you can't afford it, tell the coroner, and the county or state will inter her remains.

God bless and may His love soothe your loss.

are you and I the only one that is seeing this?

No, this is a public forum. Anybody who signs up can read it.

She had no will, she was not married and she had no children.

Then she died intestate. If your parents are no longer alive the siblings get everything. If the parents are alive the parents get everything.

She owes more on her house than it is worth.

How much more? These days property values go up as the mortgage balance goes down. Might be worth keeping the house and continuing to make the payments. Payments could also be less than rent and be worth moving into.

The is nothing to probate but we are not sure what to do and just looking for advise and/direction.

You don't have to do anything but you might study up on Texas probate in case you want to preserve the house.

Numerous sources of information:

texas probate at DuckDuckGo

Back