Dealership to increase purchase price after agreement has been signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kedegofa

I went to a dealership on Saturday and briefly looked at a vehicle. A sales guy came out and mentioned the price was 18,995. I said thanks and we went on our way.

I went back to the dealership on Tuesday and another sales guy came out and said the price was 17,995. I thought "cool, they must of dropped it to sell it." We agreed on a price of 17,995 and a trade in value of 1,500. I gave him a 100 for a deposit to not sell the vehicle to anyone else since it was the end of business and the bank was closed.

I did all the jumping through the hoops at my bank and insurance on Wednesday and got my own financing without the dealership's hand in the pot.

Went to the dealership, signed the purchase agreement for 17,995 and off I went.

I get a phone call today (Thursday) saying that they messed up on the purchase agreement and I need to fork up a grand or turn the car in and take my trade in home.

I read the purchase agreement and it states, "This document represents the complete agreement between you and the dealer regardless of any other oral, written or prior agreements or representations."

This pretty much puts a nail in their coffins, right? Since I did my own financing and it is all good on that part of the deal, they can't do anything about it because it was their mistake. Right?

They had 24 hours to make sure that their price was correct before we signed the purchase agreement. If they were to say at anytime before we signed, that they made a mistake, I would of been disappointed but would of understood.
I would be legally SOL if we agreed on a price of 19,995 and I signed the purchase agreement. They wouldn't technically have to give me a 1,000 for the difference.

So is there anyone on here that can give me some kind of insight on this at all?

It sounds like you are in a good position here. They can ask you to do these things but can't make you. They would have to go to court to work it out and they won't want to do that.

Read over your contract again and check for any clause that allows for them to void the contract within a specified period. If it isn't there, or if the scenario doesn't apply, then you will be fine.

That clause is typically regarding financing issues which don't apply here. They will likely eat the loss.

Thanks for the reassuarnce. I did read the purchase agreement and the only thing is if financing can not be completed.

I didn't hear anything from them all day. So probably the salesman trying to recoop the commission his boss is making him pay. Just have to wait for them to get my plates and registration in and I'll never go to that car lot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back