Dealership paperwork on vehicle lease / trade

Robin24scott

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
My daughter traded her leased vehicle for a new leased truck. The traded vehicle was a VW and she called to get a pay off quote ahead of time. When working with the new vehicle dealership....she gave them the pay off quote email that she received. They paid the vehicle off and she took the new vehicle and has had it for well over two months. She received a bill in the mail from VW stating that she was two months behind on the bill. She no longer has that vehicle and thought that it was paid off. She called the dealership of the new vehicle and they said that the pay off amount she gave them was the consumer pay off and not the dealership pay off. The difference is $8,000.

Her paperwork says that the VW would be paid off and further has the new vehicle info as being leased. If there is a difference, why wouldn't the dealership have said something or confirmed the amount prior to making the deal. Also, is she responsible for the difference after two months have passed? She wouldn't have done the deal if this was the case.

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks,
Robin

Also, is she responsible for the difference after two months have passed?

If there is actually a balance due on HER loan on the VW then, yes, she is contractually obligated to the lender to pay it.

Whether she would have any recourse against the dealer would require a review, by an attorney, of her purchase/trade in contracts. With $8000 at stake she would be wise to consult one.

I'd bet that the contract didn't say the other vehicle would be paid off. I'd bet that the contract says that the dealership will pay a certain amount to VW.

If there is actually a balance due on HER loan on the VW then, yes, she is contractually obligated to the lender to pay it.

Whether she would have any recourse against the dealer would require a review, by an attorney, of her purchase/trade in contracts. With $8000 at stake she would be wise to consult one.

I'm surprised that the dealership doesn't call to confirm a payoff quote prior to purchasing (and selling) vehicles. They have since sold the VW....which should still have issues receiving the title if there is a balance owed, right?

I'm surprised that the dealership doesn't call to confirm a payoff quote prior to purchasing (and selling) vehicles. They have since sold the VW....which should still have issues receiving the title if there is a balance owed, right?
How old is your daughter? Is there a reason that she can't post for herself?...it's better to have the actual legal party on here because they have all the info.

It is a lease is it not? or that is what your OP originally stated.

Leases are subject to fees and mileage, granted if they were/ are a reputable dealership then they should have told her or included the actual trade in for the lease including fees. It would be advisable at this point to get a lawyer and review all documents signed and paperwork prepared.

Back