Dealership Messed Up Registration/Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

massreality

Hello,
I bought a car from a large, reputable dealership in town a couple months ago. I paid to have my previous tag/plate transferred over to my new car. However, the tag is expiring in October and I contacted the DMV since I had not received a renewal letter. The NC DMV told me that the car was not registered in my name and the tag was inactive. They searched by the VIN, Tag and my Driver's License.

So, I contacted the dealership and they eventually discovered that the title of the car I bought, was still in the hand's of the previous owner's bank. There is a lien-hold on the title and it was never released. The dealership said it would take a couple days to sort out, and that I should just drive my car. When asked what if I was pulled over, they told me that they would take care of it. Naturally, that doesn't sit too easy with me.

I guess my biggest concern is that they have not returned a couple phone calls and the couple days to sort it out was a week ago. October 1st is Monday and that is the month my tag expires, so I hate to see the risk of being pulled over go up that much more.

Do I have any legal recourse here? Should I contact someone about taking care of this for me? It doesn't really seem to be a high priority with them and I'm really worried about a ton of fees and stuff popping up.

Thanks so much,
Brandon

Maybe the dealership can give you a temp tag while they sort the mess out for you. It should be the least they can do to keep you happy. Although it does kind of suck driving around with a paper tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back