Dealership making employees sign accident deductible form.

sethers

Jurisdiction
Texas
I've worked for a few dealerships over the past 6 years and never heard of employees paying if they get in an accident. The dealership I am working at now (for 2.5 years) is handing out a paper for everyone to sign that states if we are in an accident that we have to pay a $1,000 deductible. Before this I know some people that have had accidents with this company and have not had to pay and some that have had to pay. I have never been in any accident with any dealership I have worked at. I'm a Technician and the closest I've come to that is breaking a transmission at a previous job. They bought a new on and I put the new one in for free, but I didn't pay anything. My question is do I have to sign this paper? I like my job here and I don't want to get fired but also I'm not gonna pay $1k if I get in an accident. Any help would be helpful.

My question is do I have to sign this paper?

No, you don't have to sign the paper.

If you refuse, your employer doesn't have to continue your employment.

Choices have consequences, choose wisely.

My question is do I have to sign this paper? I like my job here and I don't want to get fired but also I'm not gonna pay $1k if I get in an accident.

If this is now a condition of employment, you either agree to it or risk getting fired.

Personally, I'd refuse to sign and I would take my chances.

There's always another job out there.

We require it at our company depending on the circumstances of the accident. You can sign the form and keep your job and if you never have an accident then no harm done.

Back