Dealer asking for more money after new car sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

yammmy

Almost 4 weeks ago, I made a cash purchase on a new car that included a trade-in. The contract was signed, paid for, gave them the old car and drove the new car home. Two weeks ago, the dealer calls me and states that due to a miscalculation in the DMV fees, I must pay more. I paid it without really contesting it much. Today, the dealer calls me again and states that the car I traded in had incorrect mileage and that someone tampered it. can the dealer be scamming me? I bought the old car from a friend of a friend who I didn't know who I believe bought it from a car auction. I still have the carfax report that matches the original mileage on the car. The dealer is now saying that because the mileage is more then they thought, I now owe them more money (~$2500). They said they want to "work something out". If I had known this would happen, I would never have purchased the car. What are my options here? Is voiding the deal an option (get my money and old car back, return their car)?

I work at a reputable dealership, and hear of dealer scams all the time, but this is a slightly different twist on the spot financing scam, it seems... what paperwork did you sign regarding the sale of your car? Likely one that said the current mileage was accurate to the best of your knowledge? That's really all you can be expected to know... what exactly are they claiming about the mileage? That the odometer was tampered with? How do they know? Did you finance through them, or a third party lender?

**Sent from my OG Droid**

Cash purchase, sorry, just reread your post. I don't think there is much they can legally do to you... Do you have the title in your name?

**Sent from my OG Droid**

Yes, I signed papers saying the mileage is accurate to the best of my knowledge. The mileage on the car is about 79K but the dealer is claiming the odometer was rolled back and that there are more miles on the car and says I should owe them money now. I'm not sure how they came to this conclusion but my carfax didn't state this when I bought the car a couple of years ago. Yes, the title is in my name.

The deal is done. You don't owe them anything and they are unlikely to get anything from you unless you willingly pay.
Just as it is your responsibility to know what you are buying, it is the same for them when they inspect your vehicle and offer a trade-in value. You didn't come up with the trade-in offer, they did.

The papers are signed, the money paid- the car is their problem now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back