dating and legal issues between 16 and 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

gforst

i am turning 18 soon. and my girl friend is turning 16 before i turn 18. the legal age of consent in FL is 18 yet it states that it has a minimum age of consent at 16. i really dont want to break up with her just cause i turn 18. im wondering if it is still legal for me to date her as i have been with her being 16 and me being 18?

i am turning 18 soon. and my girl friend is turning 16 before i turn 18. the legal age of consent in FL is 18 yet it states that it has a minimum age of consent at 16. i really dont want to break up with her just cause i turn 18. im wondering if it is still legal for me to date her as i have been with her being 16 and me being 18?

You have more than the two year age difference to be concerned about, IF you continue to date a 16 year old minor.

She can't give an adult LEGAL consent to have sex with her.

Her parents can't LEGALLY allow you to have sex with their 16 year old daughter, either.

You might not be committing RAPE, if you engage in sexual intercourse with a 16 year old girl as an 18 year old man.

But, you are risking being charged with some form of statutory rape or contributing to the delinquency of a minor, IF her parents protest.

Even if they say its okay today, tomorrow they could change their mind!

It isn't worth it.

It can cause you great distress and discomfort.

If convicted of some of these crimes, you will forever be stigmatized as a SEXUAL OFFENDER.

Being tagged a SEXUAL OFFENDER has many onerous and difficult ramifications.

The ages of 16 to 18 are a "gray area" for any types of sexual relations. But overall, if the 16 year old has not been emancipated, any sexual relations are subject to criminal prosecutions. Consent may be a defense, depending upon the specifics of the relationship. But overall, this remains a dangerous relationship. While dating is not against the law, sexual relations may be. Should the 16 year old's parents seek law enforcement's help, it could spell great trouble for the 20 year old, if accusations fly. Perhaps the best course would be for the 16 and 20 year old to sit and speak with the minor's parents to define the relationship and sexual parameters.

Dating is legal, but most other acts frequently involved with dating are not. I would suggest even heavy petting could be troublesome. Absent a healthy relationship with the 16 y/o's parents and family, trouble could easily arise. Unless this is a serious relationship and true love exists, I would advise the 20 y/o to lay off at least until the 16 y/o reaches 18. If that is not going to happen, then I advise they do not engage in any sexual activity until the 16 y/o reaches 18. There is a possibility of prosecution if the 16 y/o becomes pregnant, even if there is no report of illegal sexual activity to authorities. If law enforcement finds out about the pregnancy, they could investigate.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/florida-age-of-consent-laws--florida-criminal-code-14726.html

Statutory rape is the crime committed when an adult has sexual intercourse with someone under the legal age of sexual consent. If the crime is reported (even if your partner is your boyfriend/girlfriend), that person may be arrested, tried in a court of law and sent to jail.

Florida prohibits sexual contact between ADULTS (you) and anyone under the age of 18 years old (her, the child)!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/12483-age-consensual-sex/

now is that using FL law?
because it states the minimum age of consent is 16 and that the age of consent is 18. its that area right there that is confusing me

can you clear up what the minimum age of consent means then?
im just asking cause its confusing me.
im just wondering if its legal to date her, not if its legal to have sex

Last edited:
can you clear up what the minimum age of consent means then?
im just asking cause its confusing me.

No child (someone under the age of 18 years old) can consent to having sex with an adult (someone over the age of 18 years old).

A child's parent can not give consent to an adult (someone over the age of 18 years old) to have sex with their child (someone under the age of 18 years old).

A minor can have sex (in some cases) with another minor, and neither person could get charged.

There is nothing confusing about this.

Florida law prohibits adults from having sex with minors!

It may not be illegal to date a minor, but that is up to her parents, not her!

But, as you said, DATING, not sex.

Proceed at your own peril.

"Dating" will involve what? Kissing hand holding? anything more than that can land you in legal hot water. This includes sexting, sexual chat, calls, emails, nude or partial nude photo exchange etc etc

okay i under stand that.
now when i was looking up all this. i know Fl is 18 for any of the above. but it also stated a minimum age of 16 also. which throws me for a loop. because she will be 16 which is the minimum age.

her mom then goes on and says " the age difference is no more then 5yrs and i have consent to date her"
how does that effect anything?

okay i under stand that.
now when i was looking up all this. i know Fl is 18 for any of the above. but it also stated a minimum age of 16 also. which throws me for a loop. because she will be 16 which is the minimum age.

her mom then goes on and says " the age difference is no more then 5yrs and i have consent to date her"
how does that effect anything?

I tried to warn you.

I've represented many clients that "pressed' this issue.

It always ends with someone getting arrested, charged, convicted, and incarcerated.

When that happens, remember what I TRIED TO TELL YOU.

A member of another board has a 19 year son who was dating a 16 year old. they engaged in sex. He is now in prison for 12 years. After that he must register as sex offender which will ruin any career chances anywhere! So ask yourself is this fling worth the risk?

Age of consent in FL is 18 it use to be 16 your looking at outdated laws. Your not going to find any loopholes to make an illegal act legal!

no its not, i was pushing this issue because i didnt want to leave her, so i was looking for any legal back door and as this has shown by army judge with quiet a bit of emotion thrown in shows that its not possible. i don't care to risk my life for this girl when i can wait 2 years and if she truly wants to be with me then it'll be 100% legal as far as i know.

ageofconsent.com/florida.htm
what about this site?
it has a confusing bit in there

another off of wiki:
The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close in age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose Florida code, Title XLVI, Chapter 794

im done pushing the subject, right now i just want to learn as much as i can on the subject

Last edited:
Again with "what if" Its not the rape laws you need to worry about its the lewd and lascivious acts law that will apply to you as it did to the 19 year old I mentioned and the man mentioned in ArmyJudge's post. No matter how you spin this it doesnt fair well for you. Either deal with it or risk prison (where your the one getting raped) and lifetime regsitration as sex offender. Its that simple no what ifs or the like!

Are you saying that you are unable to see this girl unless you are able to engage in sex or some form of sexual contact? Because the law does not dictate who may DATE; only who can engage in sexual contact.

If you want to go to school events, movies, picnics, hang out at the mall, go to the carnival, etc., there's nothing illegal about that AS LONG AS HER PARENTS AGREE. It's when you get into sex issues that the law gets involved.

Are you mature enough to see her without anything more physical than you could do in front of her parents? (Light kissing, hand holding). Or are you unable to control yourself enough to see her unless you can have sex?

Are you saying that you are unable to see this girl unless you are able to engage in sex or some form of sexual contact? Because the law does not dictate who may DATE; only who can engage in sexual contact.

If you want to go to school events, movies, picnics, hang out at the mall, go to the carnival, etc., there's nothing illegal about that AS LONG AS HER PARENTS AGREE. It's when you get into sex issues that the law gets involved.

Are you mature enough to see her without anything more physical than you could do in front of her parents? (Light kissing, hand holding). Or are you unable to control yourself enough to see her unless you can have sex?

Really?

If sex was a consideration and requirement a few days ago, it'll be one going forward.

There is a reason they call them "JAILBAIT"!!!

http://bluwiki.com/images/thumb/b/b3/Jailbait.jpg/300px-Jailbait.jpg

I was attempting to make a subtle point. Perhaps it was too subtle for you, too. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back