Dangerous Neighbor

JMart

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I've lived across the street from the same neighbor my whole life. I had never had any major issues with him until a few years ago. He would sometimes ask me or my family members for money as he's unemployed, but lately his behavior has been aggressive to say the least. Just this morning, which is why I signed up to thelaw.com a few minutes ago, he tried feeding our guard dog who stays on the gated front porch something and when she didn't stop barking at him he went over to my sister's bedroom window and started banging on it hard. He was yelling and spewing racial slurs and wearing almost no clothes and seemed to almost definitely be under the influence of something (I'm almost certain he does some sort of drug as his change in facial appearance and behavior suggests). I stayed inside and called the police to see what they could do. They ended up arriving a few minutes later but almost immediately he acted all polite to the police and hastily put on some clothes he had in his car. The police talked to him and told him they had received complaints. It's 7AM on a Sunday and based on his behavior I felt very threatened for me and my family's safety. The cops left him with a warning but once they had left, as I was peering through the blinds, he yelled at our house that he was going to "beat my a**". I'm not really sure what to do or what I can do but I'm definitely in fear of my safety, and if he can't get his hands on me, my family's safety. Could any of you guys please help me find out the best course of action? Thank you.

File a police report at the station.

Keep meticulous records of what happens when.

Become aware of local ordinances, to better understand what is violation versus what is just annoying. Report the things that are violations of the law.

Could any of you guys please help me find out the best course of action?

In addition to Red Kayak's good suggestions I have three more pieces of advice:

1 - Security cameras so you can record his activities when he steps on to your property or accosts you.

2 - You probably have enough grounds to take out a restraining order.

3 - Buy a gun. Get trained in firearms law and safety. Practice often.

Back