Damage Deposit Refund Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneHunter

Hi there, this is my very first post on this site, and here is my issue:

My wife and I have been living in the same half duplex for 2 years, and 2 months. In February, at the cessation of our lease agreement, we moved out. Over the time of living there, we have been excellent tenants, adding a $350 dishwasher, as well as a 120sqft storage space addition. Upon move out, we thoroughly cleaned and repaired any damages caused by our pets (2 dogs, lawn outside was reseeded etc). We paid a deposit of $900. We were refunded $211.91. One deduction went to Water/Sewer/Gas, which is not in dispute. We were going to pay that with our damage deposit money anyways. That deduction was for $232.91.

The second deduction (keep in mind for wear and tear purposes) was for $455.18 with the description: "Home to be painted" under 'deduction for the damage and/or lack of cleaning (insert detailed description)'.

The unit we rented was 900 sq ft of living space.

Issue 1:

In Washington state, a landlord has 14 days to have returned either a check, or description of damages/fixes or both. Our move out date was the 1st of the month, we continued cleaning and repairing on the 2nd, but were completely gone as of that day. The letter with a partial deposit came in the mail on the 18th, and was postmarked the 17th of February.

Thoughts on Issue 1:

Upon research I have found that if a landlord is found intentionally not sending a deposit within the 14 days, the tenant can be awarded double the amount of the deposit. BIG ISSUE: The check, was written by the landlord, the DATE on the check is as follows: ___/___/09. She intentionally filled in the year, but without the actual date. Is this sufficient cause for this arguement?

Issue #2:

On the detailed bill for painting (of a 900 sq ft. half duplex) the following is written:

Paint walls and match as best as possible.

4 gallons @ 29.99 each - $119.96
Labor @ 26 hours - $300.00
Tax - $36.12

Total - $455.18

I've been a contractor, and skilled laborer since I was 13 years old (28 now), and never before have I seen such a ridiculous number for painting 900 sq. ft. This peaked my curiosity, and erked suspicion.

Thoughts on issue 2:

Shouldn't this cost be pro-rated, at least some? After 2 years and 2 months? The paint job was not high quality in the slightest when we moved in - which in my research, I have found can only then be pro-rated about 2 years. Well, we were there PAST 2 years... hmmm..

At any rate, today, out of anger, and suspicion I went by the old house, looked in the windows, and what did I see?

The house has NOT been painted, not one single brush stroke, I know this because I had the paint matched from behind the refrigerator (so it would be less faded), filled in all nail holes, and painted over the putty. Well, the paint did not completely match, but was definitely the same tone, just newer and cleaner. When I looked in through the windows, I could still see exactly where I had filled and painted, with no effort to cover.

I also noted someone is now living in this house. I am tempted to offer them $20 to let me enter with a video camera, and a newspaper (for showing the date) and show the lack of fresh paint job.

We're going to small claims court. As I've tried to reason with her over the phone, and she just ended up yelling saying there were "other damages", when I asked why those weren't itemized, she became more angry. I sent her a certified letter today, with return receipt letting her know she needs to pay the remainder as well as now filing fees, as we have already filed a claim.

The letter reads:

Two days ago, I received your itemized statement explaining why you were withholding $455.18 of my deposit. In reviewing your statement, I noticed you were charging me to repaint the entire unit. After consulting legal advice, it has come to my attention that these charges violate a few points of law under the landlord tenant act.

After my husband spoke with you on the phone, you clearly stated an unwillingness to return my deposit, though requested by law. As a direct result of your actions, we have had no choice but to file suit with the Snohomish County District Court.

Should you desire to return my deposit, as well as payment of applicable filing fees already incurred due to this situation, before arbitration, or further legal steps begin, feel free to contact my husband

Some additional notes to contemplate with this case:

I have an email saying:

The water/sewer/garbage is in both of our names. If you do not pay it reverts back to me, and a lien can be attached to the property. That is why I don't return the deposits until I verify that the w/s/g has been paid. They would not go after Ericka for it they would go after me as the owner.
*name edit* did say the place needs to be painted and that was the only thing he noted and that will be on the paper I send you with your returned deposit less paint and city of Marysville bill.
I will call PUD on Monday.
Thanks for being such great renters. We'll miss you.

this email is from the landlord after our move-out, but before receiving the deposit.

i have pictures showing the walls, after our walkthrough. I took them after he said it would be the only thing needed.

On another side note (sorry this is so detailed), the company that made the invoice belongs to the landlord (or at least her husband). They are unregistered with the state, and thus operating illegally (apparently on more than one front)

All things considered here, the fraudulent invoice, blatant lying about painting, being outside the date with the postmark, and the non pro-rated/normal wear and tear issue, as well as anything else I may have stated, how should I approach this case? I need immediate help, as this will be proceeding quickly.

one more question:

the dishwasher, which I bought for the house, we made a deal - landlord installs and cleans up if i bought it. I initiated the deal. WELL, that was over a year ago, and the cupboards were still falling apart beside where he installed the dishwasher, meaning - he never kept his end of the bargain. Can I attach the price of the dishwasher in small claims?

Issue #1
It is unlikely that a court is going to award you double your deposit because your letter was postmarked one day after the deadline ( You moved out February 2, Monday February 16th was a federal holiday and the post office was closed).

You should have sent your demand letter disputing these damages before you filed in court. In such a demand letter you give the landlord a specific amount of time (say, five to seven days after they receive the letter) to send the remainder of your deposit.
If it isn't received, you then file in Small Claims court. Pictures of the place at move out plus documentation that painting was not done would then be very useful evidence.

This is what you focus on should you go to court. The business about whether the company that made the invoice in unregistered in your state or not is unimportant unless the landlord did the painting themselves, are charging you for their labor and your state disalows a landlord to charge for labor they do themselves. However, if the company has employees who did the labor (and thus received a paycheck for such) then this is perfectly legal.

If you attempt to throw everything, including the kitchen sink at the judge this typically only serves to confuse the court on the matter at hand; was the unit repainted, did it need this and if so, were the costs reasonable for doing so.

Gail

P.S. Unless you have some type of written documentation you made with the landlord regarding the dishwasher, you're likely out of luck on that one. Improvements that a tenant makes that involve items that are physically attached to the house (for example, windows or cupboards) become the property of the landlord. Now, if the dishwasher you purchased was a portable one, you could have taken this with you at move out.

I hope this makes sense...

Gail,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I made the demand for payment over the phone, and have sent a letter certified stating that we will drop the case if she pays, but if not it will go ahead. should this suffice?

Also, as I said, no painting was done. There has been NO new paint job. How can I go about proving this? And how should I go about proving how unreasonable 26 hours for painting 900 sq ft is? EVEN THOUGH no labor actually occurred.

ps: our moveout was the first, we stayed around an extra day cleaning up the yard of our neighbors whom had moved out the month before and left their side in shambles. So it is two days, and there is the check without the date.

It is good that you sent the letter. On the other hand, since in the letter you also demand that she pay for your filing fees she likely has little incentive to send your deposit (plus these fees) back but, in turn, file against you for what she claims are further damages. As in many of these cases, it becomes a sort of legal "pissing" (excuse my language) contest to see who will back down first.

If you can get back in and take pictures of the difference in your new touch up paint against the older, unpainted walls, then this would be good evidence that no painting was done whatsoever.

I have no idea how you can prove whether 26 hours of labor is unreasonable or not for painting a 900 square foot home. We're currently working on a similar size home where everything needs repainting. It's taking me longer than 26 hours to do all of this because every inch also needs washing (the former owners were heavy smokers), patching cracks, priming and then painting. I wish I could get it done in under 26 hours!

However, the point is that if you do go to court over this, the issue seems to boil down to whether the unit was every actually repainted in the first place as the landlord claims. Therefore, it would be a good idea to see if you could get those pictures of the place in its current state as soon as possible.

Gail

nevermind,

i now have the following as evidence:

a signed document stating the apartment was not painted upon the new tenants move in, as well that they legally gave me access to their unit, which they were now renting.

two videos showing different walls throughout the house, with the putty and primer still completely visible, showing no painting has occurred. I did the putty and primer work, and have witnesses to verify that.

i'm starting to feel pretty confident about this case.

Please be aware that many judges will not accept signed documents in a hearing.

However, your pictures (dated of course) would be extremely useful as evidence in such a hearing.

Gail

Gail,

Thanks again for your help. I got the document just in case, but it also has their phone numbers and address in case i need to call them as witnesses.

Photos, videos, invoices, checks etc. Lots of evidence, and a decent case as long as i put it together right.

We live in the state of Michigan, my husband has been a painter for over 20 years. When I told him about a 900 sq. ft apartment being painted for $300, he busted out laughing and said, "must have been painted by the landlord's 13 year old son".

The prevailing wage for painters is $32.15 AN HOUR. That's right around $800 to paint the entire apartment, primer and two coats.

Initially I had a link included in this post to a page listing the prevailing wage in the State of California for painters, but this website does not allow links to other pages. I could not locate the link to my home state of Michigan, but it is the same rate. Check with your state for the prevailing wage for painters and that will give you an accurate rate per hour, and possibly a rate per square foot.

Don't know if that helps, but as far as proving the bill was "outrageous" for painting, for our state it's about $530 below the going rate.

Best of luck,
saginawmom

Hey, I did a little more digging...I found a website for the Washington State Prevailing Wage. It appears the rates vary by the county. They are CONSIDERABLY lower than Michigan and/or California.

Do a search for the Washington State Prevailing Wage and you should be able to locate the hourly wage for your specific county.

Sorry I didn't fully research before my first post, but I hope this helps your plight.

saginawmom

Land lords cannot deduct normal wear and tear. I e "painting" The only way around this is if the room was painted a strange color requiring several coats of paint to repair. Also it has to be detailed in the lease. Many states require a property to be freshly painted after prior and or before new tenets move in.

Repainting a wall where the paint has been damaged can be considered above "normal wear and tear". It does not have to be mentioned in the lease and I actually have never heard of a law requring that a unit be freshly painted before new tenants move in.

Sometimes a lease will specifically list that a tenant is not to paint a rental as this is often a question many tenants will ask about.

Gail

Almost all leases will note Tenets are not allowed to paint in them. But in most states I don't know about Ga. but Ohio and Kentucky both require units to be freshly painted, and blinds installed. I have rentals in Kentucky and they require this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back