Customer Service

Denise0907!

I would like to know what my rights are as a customer service rep. I'm verbally abused on the phone everyday.. What can I do about this , I'm stressed out and im on anxiety medication.. My employer thinks this is part of my job .. Is there something that me as a rep can do about this??

I've done my time as a customer service rep and your employer is right. Some people are nasty on the phones and as a rep your job is to take it.

Now, there are some exceptions to that and if you will provide some real-life examples of the "verbal abuse" I'll let you know if any of them apply.

Ok I dont mean to be rude so please dont think so. This kind of job OFTEN deals with RUDE people who often feel they own you! If you cannot do this then perhaps seek another kind of job. I would also suggest you ask your employer how to deal with these rude people and when you can end a call.

What can I do about this

You can ignore the alleged abuse, respond as a professional (which is what your employer pays you to do).

You don't know anyone who calls you, and you'll proably never meet them, so don't take it personally.

We all were taught this silly expression as children, but it applies as adults.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,

After all is said and done, don't take it personally, its just a job.

If that is beyond your capacity to achieve, you should probably seek another occupation.

Ok I dont mean to be rude so please dont think so. This kind of job OFTEN deals with RUDE people who often feel they own you! If you cannot do this then perhaps seek another kind of job. I would also suggest you ask your employer how to deal with these rude people and when you can end a call. One other suggestion on the forum Parent Nook Forums - Index page there is a section called "Getting Free Stuff and Discounts" The main user there "The_Discounter" could have some advice as he deals with customer service people all the time and may have possible solutions for you as well.

Please don't get me wrong , I Love my Job but rather you know them or not no one has the right to be called Niggers, or Bitches or even dumb.. I just feel like the the employer should do more for us.. No one time do they fight for s .. W should be able to advise the cust that if they continue to talk to us that we will disconnect the call . Never should ANYONE have to take the abuse ..#ijs

I've done my time as a customer service rep and your employer is right. Some people are nasty on the phones and as a rep your job is to take it.

Now, there are some exceptions to that and if you will provide some real-life examples of the "verbal abuse" I'll let you know if any of them apply.

Now, there are some exceptions to that and if you will provide some real-life examples of the "verbal abuse" I'll let you know if any of them apply.[/QUOT

I Love my job , all I'm saying is that when does the employer step in and protect us .. I fi was to go to my boss and call him a Nigger or a Dumb as Bitch I would lose my job.So why allow your employee to be talked to that way.. IT'S INSANE!!!!

The customer/employee relationship is entirely different from the employer/employee relationship.
Handling angry and abusive callers is part of the job. Your employer typically wants you to try to resolve the customer's issue rather than hang up on them and lose business.
You might try and develop your own skills to try and set customers at ease when they are upset. You probably do not want to bring these concerns to your employer. You might complain your way right out of a job.
You should have known when accepting the job you will sometimes have contact with angry customers.

The employer does not have control over what your customers say.

Before we go any further, why don't you tell me exactly what action you think your employer should be taking.

The employer does not have control over what your customers say.

Before we go any further, why don't you tell me exactly what action you think your employer should be taking.

She did say:

W should be able to advise the cust that if they continue to talk to us that we will disconnect the call .

I'll assume that "W" is the employer.

Denise, please stop quoting the posts of others for no reason. You re-posting what others have said is annoying and serves no purpose.

I would like to know what my rights are as a customer service rep.

Creating or attempting to create a list of rights would serve no useful purpose.

I'm verbally abused on the phone everyday.

By whom and why?

What can I do about this

I feel quite certain that you can do lots of things. Most obvious among those things would be to discuss what's happening with your supervisor and/or your employer's human resources department.

My employer thinks this is part of my job .

Do you have reason to believe otherwise?

Is there something that me as a rep can do about this?

Again, I'm sure you can do lots of things, including quitting and finding a job that is more suitable for you. Maybe you're just not cut out for this particular type of work.

Out of curiosity, in what state do you work?

I agree personally that you shouldn't have to take that kind of abuse, however my opinion doesn't mean squat to your employer. You have to work within their guidelines of how to handle these customers.

Back