Custom Custody Agreement on divorce forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNTaylor

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Hi! My STBX and I are doing an agreed divorce, a custom custody agreement and we're using an online forms company. We have a 17 year old who will be with him 6 days and me 1 day and then 2 preschool aged children who will be with me most of the time and him 1 hour each night he works and then 4 hours on 1 of his days off to start with. He's agreed to this between his work schedule, his limited attention span and his desire to have 1 day off without the kids. Naturally, it will increase as they get older but this is what is best for them at the moment.

How do we file a custom agreement with the standard forms?

When I asked how to do a more custom custody agreement, the document service replied back with this:
"Please send us a copy of whatever agreement you have so we can see if it is in proper legal form."
Did you do that?

How do we file a custom agreement with the standard forms?

You take your completed papers to the courthouse and hand them to clerk.

As this question is phrased, this is the only possible correct answer. However, I doubt the question you asked is the question you intended to ask, and I'm not sure what your real question is. That said, it's probably worth nothing that (1) not everyone who responds here regularly is a lawyer, and (2) to the best of my knowledge, no lawyers admitted to practice in Tennessee post here regularly.

When I asked how to do a more custom custody agreement, the document service replied back with this:
"Please send us a copy of whatever agreement you have so we can see if it is in proper legal form."

Seems that this "document service" is looking to provide you with legal advice. I suggest you get yourself to a lawyer's office so that you can have some real certainty that you're doing things correctly. It'll cost you a bit more now, but it could save you thousands in the future when you inevitably discover that you or your "document service" screwed something up.

...I'm not sure what your real question is.
C'mon...

The OP wants to create a "custom" (i.e. non-standard) custody agreement. The OP wants to know how to properly include it in the divorce filing so that it is entered as a part of the divorce decree/order.

I do agree that the best course of action for the OP would be to consult with an attorney.

Seems that this "document service" is looking to provide you with legal advice.
I'd like to point out that it's entirely possible that the "document service" is an attorney-provided service.

What's the complete process please elaborate.
Why did you ignore my question? Did you send a copy of what you want to do to the document service? Don't they provide instructions on filing?

What's the complete process please elaborate.

Curious that, of all the responses you received, this is what you latched onto.

Your original question was, "How do we file a custom agreement with the standard forms?" and Jack told you that "You take your completed papers to the courthouse and hand them to clerk." Now you're asking what "the complete process" is? Well...you take your completed papers and print them out (I assume you don't need "the complete process" for that). Then you get in your car and drive to the courthouse (consult a GPS app on your phone for directions). Park your car and walk into the courthouse and find the clerk's office. You then walk in and tell someone you need to file something....

Your real question is not "how do I file," is it? Rather, you want to know how to create the document in the first place. Right?

If so, anonymous strangers on the internet cannot competently walk you through that. Hire an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back