Custody

The child doesn't have a choice.
How old is the child?
Have you petitioned the court for a change in custody order yet? If there were ever a significant change in circumstance that would justify a modification to a custody order this is it.

My child's mom is in hospice care. An I want my child but she doesnt wanna go with me. What can I do

Are you able to speak with the child's mother?

The easiest thing would be for you and the mother to reach an agreement that you take the child until she recovers. Initially it is to be temporary until she gets her health back. Theirs no need to speak about death, even if her death is imminent.

You should approach it as positive.
You want to help the child get through this very difficult time, and ease the mother's mind.

If you and she can agree, it'll be much easier, quicker, and happier for all.

If that isn't possible, you'll have to hire a lawyer to petition the court for an emergency custody hearing because the child's mother is dying.

If you and the mother were married, it'll be easier for you.

If you weren't married, you'll have to first establish paternity by genetic testing.

Your lawyer will work with you to achieve paternity as well as custody.

Please start talking to lawyers today, even though I'm sure it won't be easy.

But, you must stay strong for your children.

I know, as I lived through a similar scenario decades ago, and raised my children as a single father.

If you have time, drop back by and keep us posted.

I've also put you and your family on my prayer group's list, and my wife's prayer group's list, too.

God bless, buddy.

Is it the child or the child's mother who does not want you to have custody of the child? How old is the child? Is there currently a court order for visitation/custody? Has a court given someone else guardianship of the child? If so, what does it say? Were you ever married to the mother, particularly when the child was conceived and born?

Back