custody of my niece

becca0930

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I have been caring for my 7 year old niece for a year. Her father is my brother and is in prison. Her mother is unstable and does nit have the means to care for a child. My nieces mother just lost custody of her son to the little boys father. The judge said she is unstable and can not care for the child. Now my nieces mother wants to remive her from my home and im worried about her well being. Can i file for custody? Or even tempory guardianship?

Can i file for custody? Or even tempory guardianship?

Yes, you can file. No guarantee that you will succeed but do it ASAP with an attorney who knows how to do it right and try to get the same judge.

Otherwise, you have absolutely no right to keep the child and the mother can simply come to your door and retrieve her child without you being able to stop her.

I have been caring for my 7 year old niece for a year. Her father is my brother and is in prison. Her mother is unstable and does nit have the means to care for a child. My nieces mother just lost custody of her son to the little boys father. The judge said she is unstable and can not care for the child. Now my nieces mother wants to remive her from my home and im worried about her well being. Can i file for custody? Or even tempory guardianship?

Who had LEGAL custody of the child when her father went to prison?

Was her father ever married to the child's mother?

Did her father ever establish his paternity via genetic testing, if he wasn't married to the mother upon the child's birth?

Back