custody of chid from grandparetns

Status
Not open for further replies.

McKenzieEldridg

I am 14 years old. I usually live w/ my mom. But when i was little i lived with my grandparents, who had custody. I lived with them because my mother did drugs and partied and i just couldnt be with her that little. My mom led my grandparents to believe she had cleaned up her act, so thye gave her custody of myself. Throughout the years, my mom has drug my sister and myself from home to home(homes of men that she was sleeping with). My mother drank and did illegal drugs. She quit job after job. Recently my mom had a boyfriend who did drugs, alot, and also sold them. He took my sister and i on a drug sale with him and my mom did nothing. A few weeks later, he came home really really high, and threw my little sister up against the wall. He also threw me down a flight of about 20 stairs into a wall...instead of calling the cops, she called one of her ex husbands(my sisters dad) who then called the cops because she refused to. John, my sisters dad, and his fiance are thinking of taking custody of my sister, but still dont know what to do. My mom and i got in a fight a few nights ago and she choked me and pushed me and called me mean names and kicked me out. My grand parents had to come get me and take me and my stuff with them. I am now at their home and am wanting to go to school. But i cant until they get coustody. My mom refuses to sign me over. But she is always gone with men and when she is home she is with men. My sister and i both learned what sex was because she did it around us. My sister is 9, thats wrong. i found out the same way when i was about 7, i cant even remember that mans name.. i dont feel safe with a mother that does drugs, brings strange men into the house, puts her hands on me, and otherwise leaves me alone by myself...
what can my grandparents do to get custody?

Hon, you really need to advise your grandparents to see an attorney. Not only is third party custody a very difficult and controversial subject, but you really shouldn't be in the middle of this.

If you feel threatened, please call CPS or emergency services.

i have been in hte middle of it since i was 4
my granparents are going to try
but i understand
and i just i want to know what can i legally do?
im 14 so im not a child, but im still an adolecense..but i understand everything, but i still cant help myself

i have been in hte middle of it since i was 4
my granparents are going to try
but i understand
and i just i want to know what can i legally do?
im 14 so im not a child, but im still an adolecense..but i understand everything, but i still cant help myself

That's the problem, McKenzie - you're legally a child, and you are legally unable to do anything about custody yourself.

Please, have your grandparents speak with an attorney as soon as possible. They're going to need one if they intend to try and get custody.

they will.
but is there any chance that they will get awarded custody? or is it a lost battle?
because its so bad...she hurts me, but does it so i bleed for just a bit and dont bruise, its usually my face, but she has broken large yankee candles on my head..
i cant go home to her

they will.
but is there any chance that they will get awarded custody? or is it a lost battle?
because its so bad...she hurts me, but does it so i bleed for just a bit and dont bruise, its usually my face, but she has broken large yankee candles on my head..
i cant go home to her

You need to call CPS immediately when you are being hurt. Or as soon as possible. Call 911 if necessary.

but she kicked me out
the only thing is schooling
like what can i do until the legal part has passed to be able to stay with them and go to school?

Please understand that it's your grandparents who need to be asking these questions.

You cannot do a thing - this is honestly up to them, not you, to get themselves to an attorney asap.

okay look, i may be 14 but seriously. im smart, i get the legal system. i know what she does is neglection, abuse, and drug usage.
i just need laws for missour regarding custody

okay look, i may be 14 but seriously. im smart, i get the legal system. i know what she does is neglection, abuse, and drug usage.
i just need laws for missour regarding custody

It's just not that simple. Custody can be incredibly complex - and the fact remains, you cannot legally do a thing about this. You have no legal standing to petition the court to change custody.

I have to ask - why are you so reluctant to allow your grandparents to take charge here?

McKenzie, we seem to be going around in circles.

As I said earlier, custody is not a simple matter. Third party custody - where someone other than the parents want to take custody - is very complex. This reason is reason enough to advise your grandparents to speak with a local attorney who will be able to expand on the Missouri Family Code.

I myself had to take custody of my grandchildren for pretty much the same reasons. I went to the courthouse and asked for emergency custody and wrote down the situation and the Judged awarded it the same day until a hearing could be scheduled.

My Son and Daughter n law went and got emergency custody for his sister when their Dad died (different mothers) because the mother was on drugs. His sister was 15 years old and was able to help because of her age and also wrote down why she did not want to live with her mother.

I and my son had to pay court costs and no attorney fee.

I myself had to take custody of my grandchildren for pretty much the same reasons. I went to the courthouse and asked for emergency custody and wrote down the situation and the Judged awarded it the same day until a hearing could be scheduled.

Really? Had there been a CPS investigation?

My Son and Daughter n law went and got emergency custody for his sister when their Dad died (different mothers) because the mother was on drugs. His sister was 15 years old and was able to help because of her age and also wrote down why she did not want to live with her mother.

I and my son had to pay court costs and no attorney fee.

I believe there is far more to this story.

When you are being abused, there are things the courts will do for you in emergencies....I'm not an attorney and I do not proclaim to know the law, but with what the young 14 year old wrote, as I stated before, it was very similar to what I was going through. If she is in a place where she is scared to be there and her grandparents concurs, there are ways to get out of there until you can have a legal hearing to hear both sides......just sayin

CPS??? Have you ever had to go through CPS????

Last edited:
When you are being abused, there are things the courts will do for you in emergencies....I'm not an attorney and I do not proclaim to know the law, but with what the young 14 year old wrote, as I stated before, it was very similar to what I was going through. If she is in a place where she is scared to be there and her grandparents concurs, there are ways to get out of there until you can have a legal hearing to hear both sides......just sayin

Are you saying that you circumvented the parents' right to due process? :confused:

And yes, I've had quite a bit of experience with CPS. Furthermore, did you read the advice I gave to the poster? And in which state was YOUR situation?

I advised her to have her parents contact an attorney. Because the poster herself has NO legal standing to change one darned thing.

Last edited:
If you feel threatened, tell your teachers.
Your grandparents can also call the police and report the abuse.
Teachers are obligated to report any form of child abuse by anyone.
If you are with your grandparents, most likely the state agency that investigates child abuse, will allow your grandparents to retain temporary custody of you.

You're right, you are not an attorney.
Prosperina gave the appropriate legal advice.
Lawyers do not circumvent the law, contrary to popular belief.
Lawyers adhere to a very stringent code of ethics, which does not include 'circumventing' the law!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back