Custody Hearing 1963-1966

N

Need to know

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I am wanting to find out the truth about a custody hearing that would have taken place sometime from 1963-1966 in or near Colorado Springs, Co. My half-sister and I (same mother, different fathers) were raised separately and grew up hearing different versions of the truth. Our mother is now deceased, as is my sister's father. We both agree that our mother received initial custody following their divorce; and that her father and his family had weekends and shared holidays (or something similar). At some point our mother either lost or gave up custody of my sister. How do I begin searching for the truth?

I am wanting to find out the truth about a custody hearing that would have taken place sometime from 1963-1966 in or near Colorado Springs, Co. My half-sister and I (same mother, different fathers) were raised separately and grew up hearing different versions of the truth. Our mother is now deceased, as is my sister's father. We both agree that our mother received initial custody following their divorce; and that her father and his family had weekends and shared holidays (or something similar). At some point our mother either lost or gave up custody of my sister. How do I begin searching for the truth?

Custody hearings were often sealed back in the 1960s.

With nothing more specific than a date range of years, I don't see success.

Your task will be Quixotic.

Why not do a DNA test?

She can do a DNA test.

Once the results arrive, you'll both know the truth.

There are many sites that offer such DNA tests.

In fact, ONE is running a special price for the test for Mother's Day.
Yes, MD is over, but the is still on offer at that rate.

Agreed. Those records likely do not exist. If you want to you could try contacting the county record clerk where the custody hearing took place. If anything does exist that person would have the best idea where and how to find it... but don't count on it.

The records were likely purged many years ago as they no longer had any relevance.

Why not do a DNA test?

She can do a DNA test.

Why not do a DNA test?

She can do a DNA test.

Failed to make myself clear.
We know we are half sisters, sharing the same mother. She knew her father and all of his family. I am wanting to know if our mother's custody rights were removed, or if she freely gave up those rights to avoid ongoing battles with ex-husband's family.

Failed to make myself clear.
We know we are half sisters, sharing the same mother. She knew her father and all of his family. I am wanting to know if our mother's custody rights were removed, or if she freely gave up those rights to avoid ongoing battles with ex-husband's family.

As suggested, contact the county court clerks in the counties you believe the lawsuit may have been litigated.

I doubt you'll find anything, especially if those are/were rural counties.

In those days, most of those lower level, civil cases were kept on paper.

In many cases, no records were kept any longer than a couple of years.

There are some sites operated by genealogists and the Mormon Church that might have some of those records.

I track my family's genealogy and ave found some old interesting records through many of them.

As suggested, contact the county court clerks in the counties you believe the lawsuit may have been litigated.

I doubt you'll find anything, especially if those are/were rural counties.

In those days, most of those lower level, civil cases were kept on paper.

In many cases, no records were kept any longer than a couple of years.

There are some sites operated by genealogists and the Mormon Church that might have some of those records.

I track my family's genealogy and ave found some old interesting records through many of them.
Thank you.

Her motive in not going to be clear from the order itself. You have not been a child in a very long time. I would suggest counseling as a better method to dealing with unresolved issues as you just aren't going to find what you are looking for in old court records and your parents are no longer around to ask.

Back