curious question about UK law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Zurich

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
I have not lived with my wife since 2003 since I have been working abroad. The last time we lived together was 2009 for a brief period. We are not legally separated, have not signed any form of documents to say we are separated and we are in contact. We have a matrimonial home which is in both of our names though I was the person that paid off the mortgage. What I want to know is if under UK law, if in the unfortunate circumstance that my wife should die, would I still inherit our home or could my rights be contested by her brother?

I have not lived with my wife since 2003 since I have been working abroad. The last time we lived together was 2009 for a brief period. We are not legally separated, have not signed any form of documents to say we are separated and we are in contact. We have a matrimonial home which is in both of our names though I was the person that paid off the mortgage. What I want to know is if under UK law, if in the unfortunate circumstance that my wife should die, would I still inherit our home or could my rights be contested by her brother?

I'm sorry, but this is a forum that deal with US law matters. We won't be able to help you, as the laws between our two countries vary in many instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back