Crossing divided hwy

M

Momoca

Jurisdiction
California
Hi I just got a ticket for crossing a divided highway I was leaving my girl school and I made a left turn there is no sign that indicates he cannot make a left turn plus the school is on the hill so you're coming out and I made a left and I got pulled over because I Crossy divided highway which I could not even see coming out and there was no sign you cannot make a left can I contest

Hi I just got a ticket for crossing a divided highway I was leaving my girl school and I made a left turn there is no sign that indicates he cannot make a left turn plus the school is on the hill so you're coming out and I made a left and I got pulled over because I Crossy divided highway which I could not even see coming out and there was no sign you cannot make a left can I contest

The following is the statute for which you likely got cited:

"21651. (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following: (1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing section. (2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section. (b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic."

It would help to get a look at the scene. Can you post the street location, nearest cross streets, and city so I can look it up on Google Maps?

there was no sign you cannot make a left

Well, according to (2) you can do it if there's a sign saying you can do it, but you can't do it if there's no sign saying that you can do it.

Anyway, the answer to your question is yes, of course, you can contest it. Whether you win or not is anybody's guess.

Back