Criminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smits250x

Hi guys :) I'm from Australia and currently doing my bachelor of criminology and criminal justice degree, I then want to go on and do the next course to be a criminal or family lawyer, can anyone tell me a bit Bout both fields of law? What it's like to work in and ur experiences?

Thanks

G'day mate! I think that while many here would like to answer, your question is far too vague. There are certainly differences in both fields and, in most cases, it will come down to personal preference. Do you think you can be an effective advocate for a criminal suspect? can you remain objective if you know that your client very possibly may have committed a vicious rape or a murder? What if you knew that your skills would mean that a guilty man probably went free? That's not something that every person can do.

Family law is very different. It can be a very difficult job because few civil matters can rise to the level of "dirty" as matters of divorce. The hatred and venom between spouses can rise to monumental levels and the attorneys can be extremely aggressive. Matters can involve the abuse and neglect of children, where you might see some very ugly matters that can be difficult to deal with on a personal level. Just realize what you're getting into.

I think that the best advice I can provide a law student to remember is that there is frequently a large amount of information that is omitted from the story your client tells you during your initial interview. If you go into a firm believing that your client is always the person who must be right, you'll find yourself disappointed. You can argue a position that isn't entirely clear but you cannot put forth evidence or testimony that you know is not true. It can place you in a difficult position when you discover that your client hasn't been entirely honest and it's why effective screening of clients from your first meeting is so very important before agreement to represent the potential client.

Best of luck to you! Let us know if you have any other questions and I am sure you'll eventually make the right choice after having some experience under your belt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back