Criminal Sentencing/Non Adjudicated and Expungement

DannaCraft

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
When a criminal sentencing is being read by the judge and he states that is a Non Adjudicated. What exactly does Non Adjudicated mean? I was told by someone who is neither an attorney, judge or paralegal. That it meant the same thing as Expungement. That once the person had fulfilled all of orders and had not gotten into anymore trouble at all, that the incident would be removed from the person's criminal record. If anyone can help me with this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you and God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
A MS & LA licensed attorney describes what a Non-Adjudication Finding Means Under Mississippi Law, How It Works, and Who is Eligible:

Non-Adjudication in Mississippi: How it Works and Who is Eligible

Don't expect this finding to mean that NO ONE will know, or will ever discover the conviction, non-adjudication not withstanding!!! Trust me, it eases the penalty, but will never erase the satin, no matter what people may say. Before you ask, YES, I'm a lawyer, and all stats have a similar provision under the law. The easiest way to understand this is that one avoids confinement, but the stain will forever be there for someone to eventually discover.

On a personal not, I have a very good friend. He was a police officer for 22 years, eventually becoming the Chief of Detectives for a 500 sworn officer force. The man was well respected, and admired in the community.

He investigated, and eventually arrested the son of a politically prominent family for manufacturing and selling "meth". The lawyer for the family advised my friend to forget the case, and destroy evidence. He refused.

Fast forward, it was leaked to the local press that the detective had been convicted of burglary at age 18. He received a "deferred adjudication" (Texas' version of Mississippi's non-adjudication) and the record was sealed, or so he thought.

As I said in the beginning, NOTHING is ever really sealed. Once the news leaked, his world began to disintegrate. He was fired from the police force, lost his rights to his pension, bills began to go unpaid, his local business (a small diner) had to close, and he ended up taking his life.

I say all of that to prepare you for what might happen one day. Whoever received the "non-adjudication" finding got a second chance, and it sure beats prison. But, be prepared for everything to one day be known. That means just live your life, follow their laws, and do your best to be a good person.

Last edited:
A MS & LA licensed attorney describes what a Non-Adjudication Finding Means Under Mississippi Law, How It Works, and Who is Eligible:

Non-Adjudication in Mississippi: How it Works and Who is Eligible

Don't expect this finding to mean that NO ONE will know, or will ever discover the conviction, non-adjudication not withstanding!!! Trust me, it eases the penalty, but will never erase the satin, no matter what people may say. Before you ask, YES, I'm a lawyer, and all stats have a similar provision under the law. The easiest way to understand this is that one avoids confinement, but the stain will forever be there for someone to eventually discover.

On a personal not, I have a very good friend. He was a police officer for 22 years, eventually becoming the Chief of Detectives for a 500 sworn officer force. The man was well respected, and admired in the community.

He investigated, and eventually arrested the son of a politically prominent family for manufacturing and selling "meth". The lawyer for the family advised my friend to forget the case, and destroy evidence. He refused.

Fast forward, it was leaked to the local press that the detective had been convicted of burglary at age 18. He received a "deferred adjudication" (Texas' version of Mississippi's non-adjudication) and the record was sealed, or so he thought.

As I said in the beginning, NOTHING is ever really sealed. Once the news leaked, his world began to disintegrate. He was fired from the police force, lost his rights to his pension, bills began to go unpaid, his local business (a small diner) had to close, and he ended up taking his life.

I say all of that to prepare you for what might happen one day. Whoever received the "non-adjudication" finding got a second chance, and it sure beats prison. But, be prepared for everything to one day be known. That means just live your life, follow their laws, and do your best to be a good person.
Thank you. This helps so much. Maybe now I can help them to understand it a little better.

Back