Criminal Charge Expungement

JohnMathews

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was arrested and have a criminal charge on my record since about 7 years ago. I did not go to court (failure to appear) as I felt my rights were compromised and I could not get a fair trial. I've since moved on with my life (outside of Georgia).

I was told by an attorney that my case was put on the dead docket a few years ago. Furthermore, I have reason to believe that the bench warrant which was out for me, might be gone. My questions are:

1. How easily can I get these charges expunged, and is there any risk to my freedom or safety in trying to do so?

2. I also have some money left to me by my late mother (in another state). Can I collect this qiuetly through probate court without any record check being done, or anything being affected from the criminal charges?

What was the crime?

Without getting into specific details, it was part of a "sting operation" group, that is not dysfunct, and in fact their head guy has been under FBI investigation for the past 3 years for possible scandal and corruption.

Unless you name the charge, I can't provide you with a useful answer.

Arrest warrants do not just go away on their own or expire.

You do not deal with charges you feel are improper by running away and not appearing in court.

It was charges stemming from a sex sting where cops pose as a barely underage teenager (14 or 15). Charges: Attempted Child Molestation.

That's NOT ever going to age away, or disappear.
That's a charge that will haunt you until it's been addressed in court.
You're what the law calls a fugitive.
Eventually you'll get caught.
If it were an old ticket for running a stop sign, it would cause you very little grief compared to being a fugitive from justice.

You're free because you've not been stupid, or broken any of their other laws.

When you do, your name will be run, and you'll find yourself sitting in a jail cell awaiting extradition to the state from which the warrant emanated.

You've been given poor advice.
By the way, when you act cagey or omit facts, you'll never receive the right answer, just the one you want to hear.

I knew from the way you posited your query, it had to due with some variation of sex with or involving a minor.

Even when you explained it, you attempted to minimize it.

It's a very serious charge mate.
I suggest you contact a lawyer in the state where this began and a bail bonding agency and see if you can wrk this out peacefully.

I was arrested and have a criminal charge on my record since about 7 years ago. I did not go to court (failure to appear) as I felt my rights were compromised and I could not get a fair trial. I've since moved on with my life (outside of Georgia).

I was told by an attorney that my case was put on the dead docket a few years ago. Furthermore, I have reason to believe that the bench warrant which was out for me, might be gone. My questions are:

1. How easily can I get these charges expunged, and is there any risk to my freedom or safety in trying to do so?

2. I also have some money left to me by my late mother (in another state). Can I collect this qiuetly through probate court without any record check being done, or anything being affected from the criminal charges?

Warrants never just disappear. You have to deal with them. So you're always going to have that warrant. Really? Attempted child molestation?

Also you don't get to just not show up for court because you feel like you were "wronged." That's how you get a warrant.

You better hope you don't get pulled over and that comes up. Not sure if they would extradite for that but possible.

If you show up in Georgia and say you have a warrant you want to clear up they will put you in jail until you get a court date. You better go get this stuff taken care of.

Back