Credit Nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlfpint

Last summer I started seeing an older gentleman (I'm 24, he's 39) who contacted me through a personals web site. He basically said he wanted someone to hang out with and "reward" with gifts. (He wanted arm candy) No committments, no hassles. Long story short, I gave it a shot.

4 months later, he was getting way too serious, and I had lost interest. I tried breaking things off but he didn't take it very well, threatened suicide, left messages on my machine constantly and in the end I had to file a harrassment report with the Chicago PD and told him to never contact me again.

Now he is trying to get me to repay him for "gifts" he gave to me over the course of our relationship. This includes money he gave. At one point I offered to pay him back, but he wouldn't hear of it. Until I told him not to contact me again. I just got a notice in the mail from some internet collection agency saying that he is claiming I owe him $2,500. I've already sent the agency a letter disputing the claim. Is there anything else I can/should do? Is it legal for someone to just say someone owes them money, with no contract, proof or anything?! And does he have any legal ground to sue me?

Thanks for any advice...

As far as I know, gifts cannot be taken back after the relationship has ended. At the time the gifts were given, they were meant for you to own, and that can't change afterwards....

There are probably different circumstances, but it looks like your case is cut/dry to me.... U owe nothing to him.... Just my opinion, not legal advice!

I would explain that to the company harrassing you, and if they continue, take further action against them.

Originally posted by hlfpint
Last summer I started seeing an older gentleman (I'm 24, he's 39) who contacted me through a personals web site. He basically said he wanted someone to hang out with and "reward" with gifts. (He wanted arm candy) No committments, no hassles. Long story short, I gave it a shot.

4 months later, he was getting way too serious, and I had lost interest. I tried breaking things off but he didn't take it very well, threatened suicide, left messages on my machine constantly and in the end I had to file a harrassment report with the Chicago PD and told him to never contact me again.

Now he is trying to get me to repay him for "gifts" he gave to me over the course of our relationship. This includes money he gave. At one point I offered to pay him back, but he wouldn't hear of it. Until I told him not to contact me again. I just got a notice in the mail from some internet collection agency saying that he is claiming I owe him $2,500. I've already sent the agency a letter disputing the claim. Is there anything else I can/should do? Is it legal for someone to just say someone owes them money, with no contract, proof or anything?! And does he have any legal ground to sue me?

Thanks for any advice...

From what you say, he has no legal grounds to sue at all. In fact, you'll see cases like this all day long on those daytime TV court shows... Unless he can explain how it is a loan, a gift is a gift and cannot be retracted....

Originally posted by Rathi
As far as I know, gifts cannot be taken back after the relationship has ended. At the time the gifts were given, they were meant for you to own, and that can't change afterwards....

There are probably different circumstances, but it looks like your case is cut/dry to me.... U owe nothing to him.... Just my opinion, not legal advice!

I would explain that to the company harrassing you, and if they continue, take further action against them.
This would seem to be a good plan of action to follow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back