Crazy truck driver hit me and drove away

hattan

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I was driving my little car on the highway in New Jersey and in my lane on the right side. It seemed that there was some type of merger of lanes but I was in the front. From behind, a huge truck (16 or 18 wheels?) hit the side of the rear wheel on the driver's side. We were almost at a stop, practically stop and go. I think he wanted to exit the highway and he was too close to me in the rear. He hit the car and then, after we started to move, he tried to get around me and he eventually did. I had to exit behind him because my tire was flattened by him.

Right after we exited he stopped in front of me and jumped out of the car and ran to the driver's side and was verbally harassing me. I was on the phone with 911 who was asking who was yelling and I told them that it was the driver who jumped out of his truck!!! I took a photo of his out of state license plate and his truck had no other marks on it of a company. He was yelling something about he was getting off of work to go to dinner and he said I shouldn't have stopped my car and I can't drive like that in front of him, using my brakes to slow down when I have a truck behind me. He then just got in his truck and drove away from the accident.

The police came and I reported this to them. My insurance company says they are still waiting for the police report. I have no idea how to get the information about the other driver because it was a hit and run. I at least have 3 photos of the back of his truck and his license plate. And I am guessing there is a record of the 911 call too. What can I do?

I was driving my little car on the highway in New Jersey and in my lane on the right side. It seemed that there was some type of merger of lanes but I was in the front. From behind, a huge truck (16 or 18 wheels?) hit the side of the rear wheel on the driver's side. We were almost at a stop, practically stop and go. I think he wanted to exit the highway and he was too close to me in the rear. He hit the car and then, after we started to move, he tried to get around me and he eventually did. I had to exit behind him because my tire was flattened by him.

Right after we exited he stopped in front of me and jumped out of the car and ran to the driver's side and was verbally harassing me. I was on the phone with 911 who was asking who was yelling and I told them that it was the driver who jumped out of his truck!!! I took a photo of his out of state license plate and his truck had no other marks on it of a company. He was yelling something about he was getting off of work to go to dinner and he said I shouldn't have stopped my car and I can't drive like that in front of him, using my brakes to slow down when I have a truck behind me. He then just got in his truck and drove away from the accident.

The police came and I reported this to them. My insurance company says they are still waiting for the police report. I have no idea how to get the information about the other driver because it was a hit and run. I at least have 3 photos of the back of his truck and his license plate. And I am guessing there is a record of the 911 call too. What can I do?

Your insurance company will know how to use the license plate information that you provided.

What can I do?

You simply have to wait until an insurance company representative contacts you, or the insurance company's representative sends you written correspondence instructing you further.

If I were you, I would wait patiently until a fortnight has elapsed.
If you have received no correspondence or contact by that time, call your agent, call the company's customer service line, write the company asking for instructions, email the company asking for instructions, or visit your local insurance agent if there is one.

You appear to have done everything correctly, so all you have to do is wait.

If you had full insurance coverage, you should be able to have your car repaired while you're waiting for details on the driver.

I can't even understand what happened based upon your description. You also said the other driver jumped out of a car after saying it was a truck that hit you.

I believe the other driver (truck driver) jumped out of the vehicle while the poster was on the phone with 911 and told the 911 operating that the yelling was coming from the other driver. That may be audible on the 911 call recording.

Back