Court Summons...old debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbidez0200

I saw an article about having a defense regarding an old debt that is now pursuing a judgment against me. I opened a card when I was about 18 years old, because I was trying to build my credit and we (my family) needed things. Well, we ended up falling onto hard times, and couldn't continue paying the debt. This was about 5-6 years ago, although I do not have the exact date of the last payment made.I am 24, turning 25 in May. I did try once to find out how to make payments again, but Sears said they charged off the account and sold it to a debt collector. I was not given a contact person/place. I have not received letters from anyone about this debt. The other debts that occurred during this time period I have either paid off or have worked out arrangements. The article I read said something about the court not enforcing a debt past a certain time limit. Is this true? I am not saying I won't work out payments, but I am afraid they will not allow it. The letter in the judgment claims I owe over $5000 (principal, interest, etc)! I didn't even spend $2000, and I have made many payments in the past. The letter says I have to pay the amount in full in ten days or I will be responsible for court and lawyer costs, too. I do not have that kind of money! Is there anything I can do? I am newly married, but have no major assets in my name. My husband bought a house before we were married, and it is in his name. I am trying to rebuild my credit, and I don't want this against me even more than it already is. What do you suggest?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back