Court ordered child support

Terry L Seidl

Jurisdiction
Texas
My best friend (for 30 years) wife, they are still legally married with no divorce filed as far as he knows, has filed for court ordered child support through the Texas attorney general's office using her maiden name. She never had her social security or her drivers license changed to her married name. None of this seems right to me, is this legal?

My best friend (for 30 years) wife, they are still legally married with no divorce filed as far as he knows, has filed for court ordered child support through the Texas attorney general's office using her maiden name. She never had her social security or her drivers license changed to her married name. None of this seems right to me, is this legal?

Texas has no legal separation.

The parties might never have been married in a legal or religious ceremony with a state license.

There is no way for you to know if they are legally married, as people have 50 states in which to marry legally, a half dozen US territories, and over 120 other established nations across the globe.

Either spouse can file for emergency child support and/or emergency spousal support while preparing or during the filing of a divorce action.

A parent can file for emergency child support against the other parent, married or not.

A person's name used in daily life has nothing to do with the person's ability to bring a legal action, unless the use of a name involves fraud.

Neither spouse is required to use any last name, unless the spouse CHOOSES to do so.

You don't have to change your last name when you get married. I didn't change mine until 2 months after I got married because I didn't have time and my now ex husband whine and bitched about it so much I went and did it. I kept it because I'm too lazy to change it back.

You probably have no clue about their marital status or anything else. Why is it any of your business? I'd just mind my own and avoid that drama. Not your monkeys, not your circus.

Back