Court confirmed sheriff sale after I filed chapter 7..??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a military veteran, electronics technician with a family of 7 (5 kids, the wife and myself). I lost my job and was unable to keep up on bills so my mortgage fell behind by about 5-6 months and the lender started the foreclosure process. I was going to just let the foreclosure proceed and give up the house. When the scheduled date for the sheriff's sale came within 2-3 weeks, I still haven't managed to obtain the funds needed to cover a down payment, rent, utility deposits and moving costs.

After doing some research, I realized I could buy a few extra months by filing chapter 7 and at least get us into the spring so I could have a yard sale and get some funds together. So, I contacted an attorney and they confirmed that as long as I filed the petition before the sheriff's sale, the foreclosure would not proceed due to the automatic stay.

Well, I had trouble getting the lawyer fees together and the sheriff sale took place on 4/16. Then the utility companies starting making their spring rounds shutting off people with overdue accounts (where I live they cannot shut-off utilities in the winter months). So, all the money I got together was used to keep our power/water etc. on.

Anyway, I decided to file pro se, and I submitted the emergency forms with the petition on 4/29. Since the confirmation of sale wasn't scheduled until 4/8, I figured I was good. Now I'm just wrapping up the rest of the forms (basically completed) and I decided to do a search in my states online circuit court access database and in the case for the foreclosure here is what I read:

05-08-2013 Confirmation of sale

Additional Text:

8:33 a.m. Attorney [edit] appeared by phone means for Plaintiff [edit]. Defendant [edit] not in court. Borrower filed Chapter 7 within the past week, Atty [edit] asking court to continue the matter. Court continues matter.

???WHAT???

I was going to file the remaining Chapter 7 paperwork tomorrow and I have no money and it looks like my family is about to be homeless...

Can anyone please offer me some advice as to how I can/should approach this?

A continuation is a delay. From what I can gather, the court is not issuing the order for the sheriff to proceed because of the bankruptcy court stay order.

Bottom line: the sale sheriff's sale appears to be on hold.

Inquire of the court clerk tomorrow to be sure.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back