Corporate Law Counter Suit for Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abetf

I have been going back and forth with a broker who took 20k and failed to produce and had employees of his company as well as himself lie to my business partner and I. We did not want to hire an attorney and threated to go to the press and Better Bussiness Bureau. We gave them a deadline and they failed to produce. I informed them that I had contacted 3 news stations and was waiting for their response. He then informed me that since I had gone to the newsgroups that his company was going to sue me and my family for millions due to the losses his company would suffer. Is there any case he could have? Even if I do expose him to the press can he sue me for losses if I am just telling the truth about his company? We are meeting with an attorney tomorrow but it all seems unnecessary since we have the emails proving they lied and we are just exposing the truth? Can I sue him for legal fees and threats that have made me miss work and cost me thousands more?

I have been going back and forth with a broker who took 20k and failed to produce and had employees of his company as well as himself lie to my business partner and I. We did not want to hire an attorney and threated to go to the press and Better Bussiness Bureau. We gave them a deadline and they failed to produce. I informed them that I had contacted 3 news stations and was waiting for their response. He then informed me that since I had gone to the newsgroups that his company was going to sue me and my family for millions due to the losses his company would suffer. Is there any case he could have? Even if I do expose him to the press can he sue me for losses if I am just telling the truth about his company? We are meeting with an attorney tomorrow but it all seems unnecessary since we have the emails proving they lied and we are just exposing the truth? Can I sue him for legal fees and threats that have made me miss work and cost me thousands more?

I am very sorry to hear about your problem. I'll be brief since I don't know all the details:

(1) The BBB (Better Business Bureau) is unfortunately of very little help. Most people never check with this organization until it's too late, they are overburdened with work, and will probably not get you the assistance you eed.

(2) There is no penalty for telling the truth - just make sure that you are factually correct. When most people say they will "sue you for millions" about something that you and I both know isn't worth it, then we both have a pretty good idea that this is "puffing" and a scare tactic.

(3) If this person defrauded you as a broker, why not go after his license?

If the above suggestions don't jar this person and your case is worth $20K or more, it may be worth it to just hire a lawyer and file a case. At the very least, if the case is worth at least $5-7 thousand to you and your partner, perhaps each of you can file separately in small claims court and get an easier resolution instead of dealing with the rigors of court. While you can recover all of it, you can make a serious dent and walk away from this with judgment in hand and a black mark on the defendant. Bottom line is don't act afraid - the stronger you appear the better you will be able to negotiate and show your "poker face" of a strong case and willingness to do what you have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back