Could've been killed!

Elaine Smiley

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide. My husband and I recently purchased a used vehicle which could've killed my husband when the tie rod literally fell out of it! We were not provided with a buyers guide for this vehicle which I recently read may have bearing on this case. What, if any, legal recourse do we have? I notified the dealer of another issue with a check engine light just days before the tie rod fell out but was informed that the business owner was walking out of the door right then but would return my call: to no avail thus far.

Glad he's alright.
If you have a warranty, then avail yourselves of it. If not, then I am assuming your purchase was "as-is". You will need to get your vehicle repaired if you intend to drive it.

What is the year, make & model of the vehicle?
When did you purchase it?
What was the mileage when the vehicle was purchased?

Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide. My husband and I recently purchased a used vehicle which could've killed my husband when the tie rod literally fell out of it! We were not provided with a buyers guide for this vehicle which I recently read may have bearing on this case. What, if any, legal recourse do we have? I notified the dealer of another issue with a check engine light just days before the tie rod fell out but was informed that the business owner was walking out of the door right then but would return my call: to no avail thus far.
Was this a private sale or a dealer? Di you have the car checkout by a (your) qualified mechanic?

We were not provided with a buyers guide for this vehicle which I recently read may have bearing on this case.

Maybe it's a Colorado thing, but I've never heard of a "buyer's guide" or received one for any car I've ever bought. What is it?

What, if any, legal recourse do we have?

Most used car sales are on an "as is" basis. Did you get a warranty from the seller (or was the manufacturer's warranty still in effect and properly transferred to you)?

Maybe it's a Colorado thing, but I've never heard of a "buyer's guide" or received one for any car I've ever bought. What is it?

An FTC requirements that involves penalties if not complied with.

We were not provided with a buyers guide for this vehicle which I recently read may have bearing on this case.

Here is some information from the FTC about the Buyer's Guide requirement.

Dealer's Guide to the Used Car Rule | Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov)

There are penalties involved so I suggest you file a complaint with the FTC.

You can check with the Colorado DMV to see if Colorado has any similar buyer guide requirements.

Home | Department of Revenue - Motor Vehicle (colorado.gov)

It isn't a colorado thing. And I'll bet you have. Here is what it looks like...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.53.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.53.18 PM.png
    445.9 KB · Views: 6

The Federal Trade Commission's buyer's guide for used car sales by dealers is required to be placed on the car (sellers usually put it on the window). It's not much — it basically discloses to you whether you are buying the car as is or with some kind of warranty. See my link to the FTC site that displays what the guides look like. If one of those was slapped on your car at the time you looked at it before buying it the requirement was met. You might not have paid much notice to the stickers slapped on the car. Most people don't.

If you bought the car "as is," then the problems with the car are yours to deal with, not the dealer. Did you have the car inspected prior to purchase?

You cannot successfully sue for what might have happened.

Back