Cosigned Car

Justice Scroggs

I have a 2005 Mazda 6 that I recently purchased via auto loan. me and my fathers name is on the registration, the car, the loan. me and him got into a disagreement and he will not give me the keys or even let me use the car. my car only came with one key and I requested that a key be made and i will pay for it myself. he is reusing upon my request to get a key made and I was just wondering what kind of rights do I have and what legal actions should I take if he continues to refuse to make a key?

I recently purchased a Mazda 6 via auto loan. me and my fathers name is both on the loan, the registration, the car, and the title. me and him recently got into an argument and he refused to let me use the car for anything and saying I can't use the car until I refinance it in my name. the car only came with one key and I requested to have a key made and he's rufusing to do that to. I was just wondering what my rights are to have a key made to a car that's also in my name and if he keeps refusing, what kind of legal actions should I take?

i tried to call Mazda. the problem is I have a chip in my key so they need the car to register it and I have no way of getting it to mazda

im 19, and he always wants me to talk to him about what I'm doing with the car bc I think it's respectful and he doesn't do the same and doesn't tell me what's going on with it until after he's done using it

Last edited by a moderator:
It is as much his car as yours. The law isn't much concerned with family squabbles over private property. It is also your car. Get a key made yourself. Call up a Mazda dealer with the VIN and order one.

im 19, and he always wants me to talk to him about what I'm doing with the car bc I think it's respectful and he doesn't do the same and doesn't tell me what's going on with it until after he's done using it

You might be an adult under the law but you are still dependent on your father. You obviously couldn't buy the car or qualify for the loan without his help. That makes him still the parent and you still the kid so, yes, he gets to make the rules and you get to obey them and he doesn't have to tell you anything.

Wise yourself up to that and you'll get along fine.

I hate to be the old fart that says "When I was your age" but I'll say it anyway. When I was your age and dependent on my parents for anything they made the rules as to how and when I got what I wanted. That's how life works. Get used to it because after you leave the nest your educators tell you what to do (if you go to college) then your employers take over and tell you what to do, your creditors tell you what to do, the government tells you what to do.

Back